1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Trans temp switch/speed sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:32 PM
seuf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans temp switch/speed sensor

I read that a bad trans temp oil switch or trans speed sensor could cause the trans not to shift into overdrive. Bought the two sensor (gotta start somewhere). But i can't find anything in the manuals for replacement. Can anyone give me some direction on where these sensors are located? Truck is a 95 3.9L 2WD w/ 42RH. Does this trans even have these sensors?

Old 07-21-2010, 09:49 PM
seuf

The more I read the manuals and threads the more I think I bought the wrong parts. sound like I need the vehicle speed sensor ,engine coolant sensor, and the throttle position sensor. I am cornfused!

Old 07-22-2010, 01:10 AM
bp4131017

I feel like the vehicle speed sensor and the trans speed sensor would be the same thing. The speed sensor is located on the drivers side of the transmission, almost all the way to the rear just before the driveshaft.

did you download the 95 service manual from this site? It's on the sticky titled FAQ (1 or 2 i cant remember which) and the speed sensor will be located n chapter 21 which is the section on transmissions

Old 07-22-2010, 01:37 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well the 95 manual does mention a trans temp switch for the dash light on the fluid lines. But it doesn't have anything to do with the OD. The rams do use a temp sensor, but not Dakota.

Yes the speed sensor will affect the OD. Do you have any Check Engine Light codes?

It could also be bad wires, or a bad connector or a bad OD solenoid.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:18 AM
seuf

That's what I thought, I chould find anything in the manuals. Gotta love the pimple face high school kid working the counter at Oreilly's, alway getting the wrong part. Noticed something last night. Radiator is low on coolant. Could trans oil be getting hot and something telling the computer to take it out of OD? Gotta get coolant tonight and find the leak.

Quick Reply: Trans temp switch/speed sensor