1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Truck Massage--humming vibration problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 07:06 PM
truckin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Massage--humming vibration problem

My 94 Dodge Dakota, (ext cab, Magnum V8, 150,000 miles) began getting noisy very soon after I purchased it two years ago. It makes a loud humming noise and vibration that is worst (most resonate) at about 30 to 40 miles an hour, but is present at any speed. It makes the noise with the rear wheels RAISED even, so seems to be in the drive train somewhere. I've had all wheel bearings and the rear end checked--all fine. The Transmission Shop said it might be in the overdrive, but to check that they'd have to open up the transmission anyways and at the cost of that I may as well do the whole tranny too as they can't be done separately. The Shop said they couldn't guarantee that it would solve the problem, but at least I'd have a new tranny. At $1,500 I decided to just wait and see--well after a year-and-a-half, it is no worse, but no better--still horribly loud(esp. for new riders)and annoying.
Any ideas?

Old 05-24-2005, 09:22 PM
dakotarunner
Default RE: Truck Massage--humming vibration problem

sounds like it is the tranny as dodges are known for it. with 150,000 it probably neds to be done anyways. good luck

Old 11-07-2005, 02:51 AM
360DakotaPwr
Veteran
Default RE: Truck Massage--humming vibration problem

Ditto

Quick Reply: Truck Massage--humming vibration problem