1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

2 fluid change questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 07:32 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 fluid change questions

First off, do I really have to "remove the front driveshaft to allow the transmission pan to clear the exhaust" like my manual says? I'm lookin' to change the fluid but don't wanna remove the driveshaft due to lack of time, skill, tools, and luck. And how the hell do you get to the bolts near the front that are blocked by the exhaust pipe!? Second, the local dealership has an ad for a Mopar oil change up to 5qts. Is that enough for my truck? And do ya recommend the Mopar oil? It also says every change comes with a Quaker State filter but factory filters are available for an extra charge. Which do ya recommend?

Old 08-25-2010, 08:19 AM
pashadowops
Veteran

If it is the 5.2L V8, (I am presuming it is), then yes 5 qts. is what it takes with the new filter. 4.5 qts. w/o. I am pretty sure you have to drop the shaft but, if you are taking it to the dealer for an oil change, why not just have them do the tranny fluid too? It will probably run about the same. As for the type of oil used, I think everyone here will have their preference. Personally I use the Penzoil High Mileage with whatever oil filter I can get on sale. Don't kill me guys. I don't know if the Mopar oil is specially formulated but, someone else may be able to answer that.

Good luck.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:13 AM
kahanabob
Captain

I would spend a couple of extra $$ and get a full flush. when you drop the pan you only change about 1/4 the fluid in the tranny. Flushing it exchanges all the fluid plus they run a cleaner thru it. look for deals and cupons sometimes you can pull up your local shop on the internet and they have cupons you can print out. In Ohio we have Tuffys and they have cupons.

Quick Reply: 2 fluid change questions