1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Need new exhaust! Help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Tiwtin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new exhaust! Help?

So I am needing to get a new exhaust system for my 93 Dakota with a 5.2l 318 V8. I have looked at magnaflow and flowmaster but cannot find full kits, only mufflers. Anyone know of anywhere to buy a nice system that will bring out the beast in my truck? Thanks in advance!

Old 09-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't believe there are any full kits. Maybe a cat back. Try www.summitracing.com

Old 09-13-2010, 04:32 PM
Tiwtin

So basically if I want it to sound better just get a muffler? >.<

Old 09-13-2010, 06:14 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes... if all you want is sound, just weld in a new muffler.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Tiwtin

Ah ok lol Well I was thinking the Super 40 from Flowmaster... Is there anything else that goes on with it or just the muffler itself? Sorry Im getting new to vehicle parts and stuff :P Im just trying to get my truck ready for the car show next year so I can tool it up and down the strip xD

Old 09-14-2010, 01:55 PM
DukeSupes
Captain

Basically your exhaust system breaks down into different components on these trucks. Starting at the engine end you have: Headers/manifolds, Y-pipe, Catalytic converter, muffler/Glaspak, Tail pipe.

Manifolds collectively gather exhaust into one chamber then funnel the exhaust down. Headers designate one seperate pipe per cylinder that individualy funnel the exhaust. As you can probably guess, the headers mean more power but also louder. Then comes the Y-pipe. Its called a Y-pipe because you have two individual pipes from the manifold/header coming into one single outlet. Then you go into the Catalytic Converter. Directly after the Cat. is the Muffler. You can also opt for a Glaspak instead of a muffler. Glaspaks are louder but can be a bit more difficult to install depending on which one you buy and who installs it for you. Lastly, you have the tail pipe.

I am actually considering doing some more exhaust work to my dakota. The shop that welded in my glaspak did a very poor job as it has broken loose twice now. Also I recently read in a mopar magazine that someone else with a first gen dakota made considerable HP gains by making a new Y-pipe. You may notice that the stock Y-pipe has several areas where the width of the pipe varies. I am thinking about taking the magnaflow cat off of my 98 318 ram to see if it matches up with my dakota as well.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:58 PM
kikazzdakota
Professional

i had to put a glass pack on mine cause the cops got after me for a loud exhaust..... thinking i mite go for an electric exhaust cutout mmmmmmmm loud exhaust....

Quick Reply: Need new exhaust! Help?