1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Manual transmission won't go into gear. Bad slave cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 04:21 PM
aeffertz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual transmission won't go into gear. Bad slave cylinder?

Hey guys,
Just replaced the engine in my '96 Dakota and now having a problem. When I press the clutch in, it feel's softer/spongier than before. It's not low on fluid, but I think the slave cylinder might be bad. When the motor was out, my friend ended up pushing in the clutch pedal and the the rubber seal-thing on the end of the slave cylinder broke. Another thing broke that looks like a zip tie going over the rubber seal.
Is there a way I can replace just the slave cylinder (if that's the problem), or do I have to get a whole new hydraulic clutch assembly?

Old 09-19-2010, 10:10 PM
swapdip
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My book says that these clutch assemblies are bled and set at the factory, so you might have to get a new one. I had a 87 F150 once that split its plastic hydraulic line right at the master cylinder, I cut it off with a hacksaw and then heated the hard plastic just enough to get it to squeeze over the nipple on the master, and then harden back up as it cooled. This surprised me by being a permanent fix, altho now that I am older and wiser, I would just as soon purchase a whole new assembly. Or get one at a junkyard.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:11 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you need to replace the slave cylinder you will need to buy the whole assembly. If it needed to be bled, it is possible, and I think 95_318SLT has a write up on it somewhere. But it sounds like you might have broken some parts, so you will have a hard time just finding parts for what you need, since yes, it is sent bled from the factory.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:12 AM
aeffertz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But is it possible to replace just the slave cylinder? Really tight on cash right now and can really only afford to get a new slave cylinder.

Quick Reply: Manual transmission won't go into gear. Bad slave cylinder?