1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Double DIN Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 08:00 PM
pashadowops
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double DIN Radio?

I have been wanting to replace my stereo system for a while now. I found a stock cassette deck in the salvage yard and could not pass it up for $15. It works great but, I have riding with a friend since my truck has been laid up for what seems like endless repairs and he has this $4000 system in his new Fusion that...well....is unbelievable. I can not afford $4000 or I would just buy a new truck. My question is this; Our trucks have a DIN and a Half setup. Good luck finding any manufacturer that still makes those. Has anyone ever attempted or had any luck installing a Double DIN in their Dakota? When I bought the truck it had a single DIN installed and it looked crappy. You know, like it just didn't belong in the truck. I want to avoid that look again. Thanks for any replies.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:14 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That would be sweet. I'm not sure if it is possible. But for me I would rather have a nice single DIN CD/Radio with the install kit than a stock radio with a cassette player. Heck even if the CD/Radio had no install kit and just hanged down with wires all exposed, I
rather see/have that then a stock unit.

I got a single DIN with the install kit. I fell like mine fits nice and doesn't look out of place. But that is my opinion.

www.crutchfield.com Has a large stereo selection, maybe one that fits the stock opening.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 09-26-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:59 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i went double din sized radio it would have to be the mygig radios that teh 3rd gen guys have. i'm sure it can be done with a little modding.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:16 AM
woodbutcher5691
Professional

I got one out of a mid/late '90's seabring. Has CD,cassette,am/fm. It plugged right in and screwed into the same holes. Alot better than the old plain am/fm.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:57 AM
festerw
Veteran

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
if i went double din sized radio it would have to be the mygig radios that teh 3rd gen guys have. i'm sure it can be done with a little modding.
Probably a lot of modding, everything on the newer vehicles is intertwined with the CANBUS systems. Would be easier to find a comparable aftermarket system that has similar features.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:45 PM
pashadowops
Veteran

I did a little more digging and found a few discontinued 1.5 DIN out on ebay. Pioneer mostly. The size difference between DIN and a Half and Double DIN is one full inch in height. I don't think I can gain that inch without some serious modifying. I haven't found anything on depth and width yet. That information may make the double DIN head unit a moot point anyway. I will look at the opening and the room I have to play with. I might be able to make it work.

Quick Reply: Double DIN Radio?