1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

'93 DD running bad sporadically.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 03:49 PM
mcburks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '93 DD running bad sporadically.

I have been having a problem with my 1993 Dodge Dakota for a few years now. It will get bad and I'll park it for a while and then when I start driving it again it seems to run good for a good while (a month maybe). It will run "Hot", as in it will run 2500RPM when I'm doing 45 - 55mph. Sometimes it will run like that for a while and then something will happen and it will start running like it should (1500rpm @ 55mph). When its doing this if I let it idle down like when I come to a red light, it will just die.

I just got out of the truck and it was doing this. I made some quick videos:
Truck running "hot"
Truck Dying

I had originally thought this was an issue with the overdrive on the transmission and that it wasn't going into gear (OD). But the other day it did it and it changed gears twice after it started running better.

Any ideas?

Old 10-07-2010, 05:13 PM
issakar
Captain

it certainly looks like its not shifting into OD. looks like its running in 3rd the whole time. guess I have no constructive answer. Sorry.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:36 PM
festerw
Veteran

Check your TPS.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:14 AM
mcburks

Originally Posted by festerw
Check your TPS.
What exactly should I be looking for on the TPS?

Old 10-08-2010, 01:03 AM
mcburks

Well, after doing a little research on exactly what a TPS is, what it does and what problems you may have when its not working correctly I think you may be on to something. I don't know if its a possibility but the TPS on my truck as recently been sprayed heavily with antifreeze when I had a heater core hose bust. It does seem to run bad more often now after that happened. At <$70 for a new one and two screws to remove/replace it I think I'm going to give that a shot tomorrow and see if that fixes my problem.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:41 AM
festerw
Veteran

Somewhere here recently I posted on how to test them if you've got access to a multi tester.

Also check out a few auto parts stores you should be able to get one for a lot cheaper than $70.

The intermittent OD problem is what lead me to think TPS or Temp sensor, then when you said it will die coming to idle could be TPS or IAC. With the TPS being common between the two that's what I picked.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:01 PM
mcburks

Well, I went ahead and picked up the $70 replacement at my favorite auto parts store this morning and replaced it. I just came back from a quick 5 - 10 mile test run and it ran perfect. However, like I said this is a sporadic problem so I'm not sure if its fixed or not. I am on vacation this week but I'll be doing my 23 mile commute again next week so maybe if the problem still exists it will present itself then. Hopefully that solved it though.

Quick Reply: '93 DD running bad sporadically.