1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dead cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 03:58 AM
Gengbang
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead cylinder?

Hey guys, just bought a 1990 dodge dakota v6 2wd Auto, for a winter truck and planned on using it to dolly my track car around in the spring, so in spite of owning my first truck i thought id go get it a little dirty. anyways i played around in some shallow puddles and mud nothing serious. i noticed on my way home when i gave it some gas it sounded as if it was missing. i thought maybe id sucked in some water, so i checked out the air filter and intake and everything was dry not even close to a drip of water so i checked my dizzy (a breif look and it wasn't wet it was still dusty) and i made sure my plugs were in good. and still its got a bit of a miss to it. ill put it in drive and from about 800-2000 rpm it sputters up. so any advice? anything ive over looked? it has roughly 260,000km on it oil levels good no dents in the pan or transmission pan. i thought id perhaps run a compression test on it tomorrow in the morning to see if maybe i just killed the motor.(which i most certainly hope isnt the case) thanks in advance - Zack

p.s i can post a video in the morning. also im going to take apart the intake and get a good look at the dizzy. make sure the cap and rotor are still good i might also use this as a chance to replace the plugs and cap and rotor since i dont have any tune up history on the truck and they look pretty old.

Last edited by Gengbang; 10-20-2010 at 04:20 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Most likely it will be a plug or wire or the rotor and cap. I say replace them all. Who knows when they were last replaced.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Gengbang

Thanks. ill be doing that here shortly. ill keep you posted.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:26 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when it was flooding over by me couple months ago i was driving through flooded streets and noticed when my plug wires would get soaked my truck would miss like crazy until they dried(took about 30mins for them to dry). also open the hood and with the truck running look for any arcing along the wires.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:46 AM
Gengbang

Hey thanks for the help, i replaced the diz cap plugs and wires and it was definatly needed. when i pulled the wires off the plugs the wire pulled out of the ends. also the plugs were disgusting. and the cap and rotor were corroded.

Last edited by Gengbang; 10-21-2010 at 06:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Dead cylinder?