1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Water dripping inside the cabin when it rains

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:52 PM
memasterac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water dripping inside the cabin when it rains

I have a 1992 Extended cab 5.2L 4X4. When it rains I can see water drips down from under the passenger side glove box. Water goes onto floor and dampens the carpet... fortunately this is the only leak I discover of my aging truck.

I did a research on the forum and the most common suggestion is to check if the cowl is plugged. It’s pouring outside so I won’t check it until the rain is gone. Does anyone got a picture to show me where exactly to check and clean the cowl? Any other suggestions other than the cowl for the dripping water?

Old 11-07-2010, 11:38 PM
ddgdkt96
Professional

I would check the windshield seal on the bottom

Old 12-01-2010, 02:17 PM
memasterac

Update:

I found the cause of this particular leaking and fixed it.

The water is coming down from the bundled/taped wires to the engine bay through the fire wall on passenger side. Once inside the engine bay, this bundles/taped wires go up to a connector plugs into the engine bay wall under the wiper. The factory tape is broken from the contact with other wires over time so the water leaks into the hole of the tape. Luckily I don’t see any wire inside the tape damaged so I just put some silicon adhesive over the hole and re-tape it up.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:26 PM
B-radical
Professional

Good info. My old 04 would drip water from the passenger side door, the top, near the rear. Asked a buddy about it one day, if there was a way to adjust the door and he said "yeah" and opened it, took his knee to the center of the door frome (towards the back) reached up and pulled the top outside corner in towards him, and said it was fixed.

I laughed, cause I had never seen anything so silly, and thought he was jerking my leg, but it never leaked again. I guess it just pulled the door tighter against the seal? who knows

Old 12-01-2010, 03:03 PM
95Erokram
Veteran

had this problem with my back window. Water driiped onto my amp! but it dried and it still wroked great. Until i fix it i put a strip of gorilla tape along the window and seal ust enought to cover. Trucks midnight blue, windows 5% tinted. You'd never know its there

Quick Reply: Water dripping inside the cabin when it rains