1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Bumper question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:00 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bumper question

yesterday some idiot in an older lexus(96'-97'ish) cut me off and and i hit him pretty hard.

the good news is nobody was hurt(we were only going about 25-27mph), the bad news is his door won't open and my bumper is shifted over about an inch and is pushed up into the grill. i was wondering if i could just take a bfh and a 2x4 and hit back into place? or what would ya'll recommend?
i have pics of my truck too but i can't get them off my mom's camera(needs a program or something like that)

Old 11-10-2010, 09:11 PM
swapdip
Rookie

That is how I fixed the bumper on my old B2000, actually ended up chaining it to a tree and just slowly backing up to pull out the dent, BFH took care of the rest.

Myself, I just hit a deer this week in the Dakota, who thankfully went down without too much suffering. After replacing the plastics I still have a big dent in the bumper, and I am very much considering taking this opportunity to install a big ole brush guard made of tubing or angle iron or something hefty like that.

I guess it all depends on what you want your truck to be, junkyards are plentiful with bumpers, but many owners of 20 yr old trucks would just as soon bang it out and keep on going.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:07 PM
9652dakota
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what ever you do make absalutly certain that you paint a lexus emblem on the fender (or bumper) and put a red strike through it.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:43 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 9652dakota
what ever you do make absalutly certain that you paint a lexus emblem on the fender (or bumper) and put a red strike through it.

lol right next to the toyota emblem from a month ago and the ford emblem from January(neither of them where my fault)...

i might just replace the front bumper, because the bottom pass side is rusted and the airdam is hanging.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:07 PM
kturner
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Be careful of...

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
i was wondering if i could just take a bfh and a 2x4 and hit back into place? or what would ya'll recommend?
I'm not sure what year they started putting airbags in the Dakotas. If you have an airbag, I'd be careful how you started hammering. They can be selective about the amount/location of impact. My father in law was the original owner of my 96 Dakota. He had a deer come out in front of him and he almost came to a stop in time, but ended up hitting the deer lightly. It cracked the plastic grill and set off the airbag. Didnt damage anything else (deer included - it ran off). It hit at just the right place, with just enough force to set off the airbag.

Keith

Old 11-11-2010, 10:05 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

the nice and bad thing is my truck doesn't have airbags

Quick Reply: Bumper question