1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Winter engine heater

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 10:54 AM
siggie30
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be technically better to heat the block (faster transfer of heat), but, the oil would cause the most problems with cold startups (viscosity/wear), next would be coolant (unless mixed for the temps), then the pigiron. Since your providing heat to an enclosed system, I find the dipstick method to be the least intrusive as the plug heater is replacing a nonwear part with a wear part. I like the work light method, but would limit it to 2 hours before starting (as eventually the excess heat would get wicked away).

Old 12-03-2010, 11:29 PM
oxygen454
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I grew up in Alberta Canada where the temp got down do -30. Sometimes as cold as -43 deg Celsius. The best thing I found other than a garage to park in, was a block heater. Anything that heats or circulates the fluids in the block is a good idea.

My aunt and uncle do the same, they live in the North West territories up near Alaska, were even the bears freeze there nuts off lol.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:49 AM
89newbie
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol Poor bears, Speakin of, Small Black bear in pasture reminded Mrs Newbie of 10 million ways to die and the treehugger chaning himself to a tree protestin loggin? Seems Mr Bear happened along and saved the treehuger from having freezin nuts. ROFl

Old 12-05-2010, 10:48 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

the only problem i ever had starting my truck in below 0 temps is the gas freezing up...never had problems cold starting. it does seem a little slow when the wind chills get lower but other than that its good. if it did get to be a hassle starting in the cold i'd just push it in the garage and wait about an hour(LP tank and heater do wonders here).

Old 12-05-2010, 11:01 PM
siggie30
Captain

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
the only problem i ever had starting my truck in below 0 temps is the gas freezing up...never had problems cold starting. it does seem a little slow when the wind chills get lower but other than that its good. if it did get to be a hassle starting in the cold i'd just push it in the garage and wait about an hour(LP tank and heater do wonders here).

I do not think it is gasoline freezing on you (gas starts to solidify around -95 degrees farenheit), but perhaps water that has not mixed with ethanol. Also, wind chill does not apply to vehicle temp (with regard to starting).

Quick Reply: Winter engine heater