1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New Fuel Pump from JcWhitney...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:14 PM
MoparMan1995
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Fuel Pump from JcWhitney...

Hey guys,

Got a new fuel pump from JcWhitney the other day and one of their service representatives assured me it was the exact fuel pump for my truck and had the fuel filter already on it. When I received it yesterday I was skeptical considering it had no round shaped fuel filter on the bottom but instead a pouch looking square strainer. It does however appear as if it does have clips on the side that could be used to attach the proper fuel filter to it. I'm going to post some pictures of it below and I was wondering if anyone can tell me, just by looking at it, if this fuel pump will work in my 1995 Dodge Dakota 3.9 Liter V6 239CID 4x4 that has the 22 gallon fuel tank?

If it will work, will the strainer attached at the bottom serve well enough as the fuel filter? I ask because if so, I'd like to use this as a filter, since the actual round hockey puck shaped filters clog too easily as I've had to change the filters every 2 years on my truck (this is the 3rd time since I bought it).

Hope to hear back from you guys soon, thanks!

(If the pics are not shown here, they should be under "attachments")

Attached Thumbnails New Fuel Pump from JcWhitney...-dscn3575.jpg   New Fuel Pump from JcWhitney...-dscn3576.jpg   New Fuel Pump from JcWhitney...-dscn3577.jpg  
Old 12-02-2010, 09:53 PM
declid

that looks just like the one i replaced the other day, mine was from autozone, just make sure when u put it in that the float is pointing forward,, in the paper work it says that is the filter,, my old one had the round paper one too,, tom

Old 12-02-2010, 10:25 PM
MoparMan1995
Professional

Oh thanks man, that makes me feel better about it then. I'd rather have this strainer then one of those stupid paper filters anyways, they clog like a 1 inch drain pipe in a mud hole, lol.

I do plan on having a mechanic replace it though since here in N.Y. the weather is getting nasty and I don't have my own garage. But just so I'm clear, by facing it forwards you probably mean towards the front of the truck right? I wonder if the last guy that I had install a pump in my truck put it in the wrong way which would explain why the float assembly doesnt work right to show me how much fuel I have left until it gets down to only a couple remaining gallons.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:38 AM
declid

also taking the bed off , is alot better than taking the tank down, its only 8 bolts and 2 wire connections, than u have easy access to the top of the tank and all connections ,,, tom

Old 12-03-2010, 01:20 PM
MoparMan1995
Professional

Thanks Declid, but I'm going to have someone just drop the tank, since back in the spring, I had gotten 2 brand new gas tank straps and used up an entire can of spray on bed liner coating them and the 2 bolts that hold them on are brand new so the tank will come out easy as pie. I'd much rather do that then having a mechanic unbolt 4 times as many bolts then having to maneuver around the truck bed while trying not to scratch it (which will probably happen anyways with my luck if he takes the bed off). I just plan on getting as much gas out of the tank as I can before I get it there while having a spare can ready incase I run out of gas and then having him drop the tank while it's on his lift. Besides...last time I had someone drop the tank on a lift it came out easily anyways even with the previous old rusty gas tank straps and bolts so this time it will go even easier.

Thanks again though for your first post, that makes me feel a lot better about this pump. Luckily even though I won't be doing the switch till after x-mas, JcWhitney will probably still take it back if it doesn't work especially with the guarantee that they gave me and also the manufacturer's guarantee.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:13 PM
oxygen454
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Defiantly make sure the mechanic or yourself puts the pump in the tank in the right direction or you will have a lot of problems with your guage and pump in the near future. If your wondering how it sits in the tank, check out this thread here.

Quick Reply: New Fuel Pump from JcWhitney...