1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

check engine light????

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 07:05 AM
89newbie
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light????

Ok another well worn one. Jumped in 94 Sunday A.M. immediately tried to start like not even pausing ten seconds and hit start, Da it did not like that one. Finally started as temp came up ce light came on checked all foundnothing shut itdown re started, no light. Sunday night cold again goin to town for late dinner, waited about thirty seconds then hit start all normal. Mon good start took truck to work went here & there all normal starts good running. Stopped at reptuable gas station put 20 bucks regularin then about 4 miles city driving and on interstate Drove about 8 miles check engine. Dropped speed to 50 went two miles pulled into station checked all fluids belts etc. nothing. Drove the remaining 32 miles aT 55 light on. Stopped at usual gas station added ten bucks to fill checked all again nothing found. drove the next ten miles all normal except engine light. Temp normal ol pressure normal fuel 1/4tank, normal, Ill fix that one when it warms, but seeing heavy charging on alt displat about 16 amp. Checked bat at home its time for a new one but it starts the truck fine. Might add last ten miles hills and valleys truck ran exactly as it always does. Only thing I didnt mention is after hitting O.D. it would shift back down to third and holdagain until speedwas up, was driving about 40 MPH at that point so that can be normal with vacum pull etd. Tranny oil changed 6 weeks ago engine oil has maby 1000 mi. on it Any ideas, going to disconnect and reset CPU before work. Any ideas out there? I realize that will drop any codes but I wanna see what happens.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:09 AM
89newbie
Captain

More information. Disconnected battery let sit for 30 min reconnected great start, but clutch fam enguaged at od temp of 19F. Went to work drove about 25 miles no problems. Thinking here, cold last night head winds from 19 degree area clutch fan eng. Hmmm could the cpu have gone into an over rich condition because of low engine T? That would be seen by the O2 sensor as a problem because of highway speed and rich exhaust. Another note: Filled up last night when I got to town after the problem trip. I usually do this drive three days a week. Normal mileage with good weather is 16 to 18, last night it was 11-12 mpg.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes it could be over rich due to low temps or a bad Coolant Temperature sensor.
It would have been VERY helpful to know what the code was before you erased it. Now you have to wait for it to come back up to know.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:36 PM
89newbie
Captain

Well since I am totally Dodge ignorant I dont know how to get codes, thought you need some meter to get codes..

Old 12-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

OBD1s on Chevy, Ford and Dodge you can read without a code reader. I believe you can read OBDII also.

Turn on and off the key 3 times and read the check engine flashes. Checks the FAQ in this section for a full list of codes.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:24 AM
89newbie
Captain

Thanks, Ill try that. Also going 16" electric puller, prices too close to reclutch.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:45 PM
trex1

Just a thought,I had a izuzu rodeo once and the transmission light came on and it would not shift. It was an automatic trans. you had to manually shift the gears . start in 1st manually shift to 2nd and so forth.Thought the trans was going out but found out the alternator was over charging like 16-18 amps so the computer put in limp mode so it would not burn up sensors. put new alternator on and everything was fine.

Quick Reply: check engine light????