1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

did a bunch of work to the dak now i got some question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 01:49 AM
Wishihadahonda
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did a bunch of work to the dak now i got some question

ok so i had the upper control arm bushings replaced and my front brakes u jints carrier bearing and tires replaced...

Now im getting ready to start buying and upgrading suspensions...

id like to lift it but it is 2wd... my question is how much is the truck off level?? is it 2 inches higher in the rear or 4?

reason why i ask is i ordered the body lift for the truck and it is a 2 inch. ultimately i would like to level AND lift the truck 2 inches suspension wise...

I know i can get 3-4 inches out of the front by adding spring spacers (top and bottom) and v8 springs (i have a v6) i could possibly put the coil spacers in too if i needed another inch.

and in the back i could add a leaf or blocks.... i think i can change the shackles to 4x4 and that will raise it up too right?

id like to lift it up but i want the truck to stay level so if i lift it 2 inches in the back i have to lift it 2 inches HIGHER in the front to stay level being that it isnt right now......

any insight on this fellers?

Old 12-12-2010, 01:53 AM
Wishihadahonda
Professional

also the faq2 has some listings for brushguards that seem to be useless anyone know what ones will bolt on or could be modified some to fit??

and it also says JCW has some lightbars which is a big negative ghost rider..... anyone know where to get one ive seen them on our dakotas before and they look slick.......

Old 12-12-2010, 02:24 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes you can lift it. The rear may be 2in higher, grab the tape measure and find out exactly. I'm not to sure if you can get 4-5 in with the coil spacer and the V8 coil. They do the same. There is a limit that can be shoved in the coil pocket and only so much the suspension will raise. Give it a try though.

Out back you can do Add A Leaf, but not the blocks, it will lower it on a 2wd. (4wd can do blocks.) If I remember right 2wd to 4wd shackle HANGER swap will lower the truck on a 2wd truck. 4wd to 2wd Hangers will raise on a 4wd truck. The actual shackles are the same. The other option is a SOA Spring Over Axle swap. But that will add to much lift on the rear only.

A few said the Ebay ones dropped in with no modification. The JCW light bar is basicly a bar in front to mount up lights. Think of a small Brush Guard. The bed light bars are not sold, or at least no one has found one. A few people use Rangers, Toyotas ect.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:55 AM
Wishihadahonda
Professional

ive seen the same bar on a few dakotas around town but they always tell me they bought the damn thing like that

and ebay what dropped in with no modification? i looked for light bars bull bars brush guards and knockdown grills all on ebay no luck.

and like i said id rather it be level so if i can only level it and body lift it ill just put some good size tres and call it a day. look for a 4x4 something or other lol

Quick Reply: did a bunch of work to the dak now i got some question