1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Suspension and 4x4 questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:30 AM
totman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension and 4x4 questions

After doing some reading I'm now a bit confused. I planned on getting these - http://www.totalperformanceonline.co...1321/50/100-14

and in the part description it states - "The Total Performance Inc cams are forged with a different index from the factory cams, allowing for a taller front end adjustment. Forged leveling cams are the proper way to level your trucks factory height (approx 2"-3") without overloading your torsion bars, while still maintaining a decent ride. These cams do not cause any accelerated front end wear"

But from what I've read online all they do is put more stress on the torsion bars and that I'd be better off just cranking my stock keys up 2in.

Are the re-indexed keys worth it? Will my truck benifit from them at all?

Also- when I put my truck in 4wd is there supposed to be a light that comes on in my dash to let me know I'm in 4wd? I have a 94 dak with the 3.9 and a 5spd.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:03 AM
JDakota92
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I leveled out my '92 with the stock keys, so I have never seen a reason to get the re-indexed ones. As far as the 4WD indicator, it's not on the dash, but on the shifter it's self. It should be a amber colored light that reads "4WD".

Old 12-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes it adds stress to all the suspension parts. But so does it in stock form. It is safe to do so. Yes you can crank up your stock keys. That will give you an inch or so. If you want more use the keys. So crank up yours and test it out before you get the keys.

Quick Reply: Suspension and 4x4 questions