1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

91 5.2 that has some starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011 | 12:09 AM
91dirtydodge
|
Default 91 5.2 that has some starting issues

Danm do i love my dodges but this ones starting to give me some electical problems. its a 5.2 with the stupid pollution pump setup. it all started after i got a coolant flush. since then most days it starts and runs great. now i noticed the o2 is shot but it died today. got in and nothing i makes the buzz noise when the key is in the ignition but dies completely when you turn it to the on position. did it before and cleaned the positive post it got me home. any clue on this mystery. Thnks dirty

Old 01-06-2011 | 01:51 AM
oxygen454
Veteran

Its because you live in Saskatoon haha kidding...

Sounds like you have a wiring issue. Is your battery low or weak? Any breaks in your wires from your battery? Clean the battery terminals and use some dielectric grease for a better connection and a corrosion preventative.

A faulty O2 would most likely make it run crappy and throw a code.

Old 01-06-2011 | 02:21 AM
89newbie
Captain

Mine has a little red wire and two heavy ones on the pos post. Had the dying issue and found Joe Mechanic had done a crummy job on the connections. Tip here if you have the same. Zone or Advanced has brass/copper connectors trhat will fit the large wires. Instead of trying to cram em under the little plate you bolt them to the two bolts that hold plate down. The little third wire goes under plate. I still had the die issue after doing the above so I added a terminal end, modified it from flat to round and bolted it sewcurely under that little plate. Have had no dying since. I was showing no codes. Cheap suggestion for brass copper connectors: Large cables fit perfect in 3/8 copper tubing. Since Im like in the booonies I just cut two pieces. flattened one side drilled hole for bolt and crimped with large krimp tool.

Last edited by 89newbie; 01-06-2011 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Add cheap suggestion.
Old 01-08-2011 | 12:02 AM
91dirtydodge
|

yah i have tried to clean and use high end posts but still nothing the battery is new and the alt is new the water pump is new and so is the belt. still FN with it all but hope to back on the road again sooner than later. thanks to oxygen454 and 89newbie keep it shiney side up and between the ditchs. Dirty

Old 01-08-2011 | 12:53 AM
89newbie
Captain

Originally Posted by 91dirtydodge
yah i have tried to clean and use high end posts but still nothing the battery is new and the alt is new the water pump is new and so is the belt. still FN with it all but hope to back on the road again sooner than later. thanks to oxygen454 and 89newbie keep it shiney side up and between the ditchs. Dirty

Thanks man if that little red wire isn't feeding the circuit panel nothing happens. Mine looked good so I did the cut and crimp thing, I have had no further problems so I would be guessing at this point. When you turn the key on do you get anything at all, do you have lights?

Quick Reply: 91 5.2 that has some starting issues