1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Front axle won't disengage

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011 | 08:07 PM
Spennyman1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Den37
Thanks guys.That's a relief to me.

And I know what you mean,Spenny.I'd rather it all work properly as well,but it's -14c outside.Not a good day to crawl under a truck.
Now that's cold.

Old 01-08-2011 | 01:17 AM
89newbie
Captain

Originally Posted by festerw
Bottom line is as long as the T-case lever is in 2wd you're not going to hurt anything. My light sometimes sticks on also, try giving the lever a little harder shove into 2wd.
LOL harder shove, had the problem first time I tried 4 wheel high in snow and it would not come out. My years of experience told me that Dodge had positioned the lever in anticipation of such a happening and the proper tool must be at hand. Closest tool was my right foot. Yep I did it, now it has no problem shifting smoothly and evenly no jerking no grinding. Might not be in All Data and Im sure its not reccomended but it worked.

Old 01-08-2011 | 01:23 AM
89newbie
Captain

Originally Posted by Spennyman1
Now that's cold.
Ugh I transferred tool boxes, ladder rack etc to Dak From Dead Ranger when it was 18 F and froze my butt but I had to work. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Old 01-08-2011 | 03:55 AM
Den37
|

Does your truck have a personality?I think mine does.

Tonight after work I started Dak and,sure enough,the 4x4 light was on.I mindlessly commented out loud that I should try tapping the actuator housing with a hammer in the morning.See if that would break it loose.

2 seconds later the light turned off and she drove like the axle was disconnected again.

Coincidence?I wonder.

Old 01-08-2011 | 08:41 AM
Spennyman1
Rookie

Remember the movie "Christine".......she was a Mopar.

Old 01-08-2011 | 11:19 AM
jnjinfla
Rookie

Evil Mopars Unite

Old 01-09-2011 | 11:31 AM
Den37
|

Your post prompted me to look that up.I had no idea.

Maybe I should start treating Dak with a bit more respect.I don't want to become part of a new Stephen King movie.(Christine 2;Offroad Mayhem)

And lets not forget Maximum Overdrive.

Old 01-10-2011 | 08:42 AM
89newbie
Captain

Hmmm might not be a bad thing, picture this. You slide on the ice and snow and take one side and the front of Daktine and she limps home badly damaged no lights fan hitting ooil leaking and dies right on the floor of the garage. Next morning you have a brand new Daktine! No scraped nuckles, no body shops, no big $ for parts, no wait for the insurance adjuster!

Old 01-10-2011 | 05:17 PM
pashadowops
Veteran

Hey, while we are on this subject, what is the proper way to engage and disengage the four wheel drive in these trucks?

I have always just engaged on the fly and disengaged the same way. In the past year or so though I have noticed that she just doesn't want to come out of 4WD or stay engaged sometimes and the 4WD lever seems real sluggish. I can't explain it. It's almost like it smushes in and out instead of a firm click of engage or disengage. Does that make any sense at all?

Just wondering. Thanks for any input.

Old 01-11-2011 | 06:15 AM
Den37
|

Mine did that,and it was the rubber bushing at the pivot point of the lever(which has a metal sleeve at its center) had seized to the mounting bracket.You may have a hard time pulling it off.

As a temporary fix,and because I couldn't pull it off with any tools I had on hand,I drilled a series of small holes around the outside edge of the rubber(where rubber and metal contact).This takes some of the pressure off the rubber and allows the lever to slide on it rather than the pivot point.A little spray grease in the holes helped as well.

CAUTION!!Don't drill too many holes.You don't want the lever to pop off the rubber.

Quick Reply: Front axle won't disengage