1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

doin a 360 swap on my 88 dakota, any advice appreciated :-)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 03:05 AM
88dak360
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default doin a 360 swap on my 88 dakota, any advice appreciated :-)

i have a gutless 88 dakota with an inline 4 cylinder 5spd on its last leg, i recently bought an 85 360 v8 4 barrel carb and an automatic transmission for it, im just looking for some info on what i might need for it and where i can find it for the best price, like engine mounts, tranny mounts, wiring harness, rear end, and anything else you seasoned dakota lovers can think of, i just dont wanna pull my engine and get ready to put the new one in only to find out i dont have something i really need, thanks to all who lend me your expertise, i will try to have pics of what im workin with within the next few days

Old 01-09-2011, 11:49 AM
siggie30
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 88dak360
i have a gutless 88 dakota with an inline 4 cylinder 5spd on its last leg, i recently bought an 85 360 v8 4 barrel carb and an automatic transmission for it, im just looking for some info on what i might need for it and where i can find it for the best price, like engine mounts, tranny mounts, wiring harness, rear end, and anything else you seasoned dakota lovers can think of, i just dont wanna pull my engine and get ready to put the new one in only to find out i dont have something i really need, thanks to all who lend me your expertise, i will try to have pics of what im workin with within the next few days

What type of 360? Truck mounting holes on side of block or car block (just front ears)? What type of transmission (727 or ?) Wiring harness can be bought from any parts store to run a carbed 360. Mancini (among others)has the pig tails for newer setups. I would recommend the mid 90's HEI GM setup as it deletes the voltage regulator, and is a little cheaper on the whole (and more compact), but wiring the instruments through the PCM may throw codes for the swap. I guess you could remove the lights from the cluster. The rear end should be a 87-90 5 lug 8 1/4 of matching drive (for spring mount and perches) or be opportunistic and upgrade to a 9 1/4". Tranny wiring should be fairly simple and straight forward (PATC has good info). Your drive shaft is an issue that I am unsure of, as I did not start with a 4 cyl). Depending on your radiator type, you may need the 89 shelby Dak style (or HD style) that is thinner, but wider. You will need an electric fan in front of the radiator.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:02 AM
88dak360
Default more issues

[QUOTE=siggie30;2375733]What type of 360? Truck mounting holes on side of block or car block (just front ears)? What type of transmission (727 or ?) Wiring harness can be bought from any parts store to run a carbed 360. Mancini (among others)has the pig tails for newer setups. I would recommend the mid 90's HEI GM setup as it deletes the voltage regulator, and is a little cheaper on the whole (and more compact), but wiring the instruments through the PCM may throw codes for the swap. I guess you could remove the lights from the cluster. The rear end should be a 87-90 5 lug 8 1/4 of matching drive (for spring mount and perches) or be opportunistic and upgrade to a 9 1/4". Tranny wiring should be fairly simple and straight forward (PATC has good info). Your drive shaft is an issue that I am unsure of, as I did not start with a 4 cyl). Depending on your radiator type, you may need the 89 shelby Dak style (or HD style) that is thinner, but wider. You will need an electric fan in front of the radiator.[/.QUOTE]

they apear to be on the side of the block, i believe it came out of an 84-85 dodge van. how do i tell what kind of transmission it is?what is a HEI setup? i began taking apart the engine to clean it up and once i got the carb off i found out that my 4 barrel intake manifold is rusted out, and wont come off so i took off the valve covers then the rocker and push rods and the head bolts, and still will not come off, can someone post a link of walk through (preferably with pics) of how to dismantle an 84-85 5.9 360 V8
this is the only pic i have and the only way i know to get it online

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...145.1816970547

thanks again for all ure help

Old 04-01-2011, 12:19 AM
cybrntctrlphreak

I dunno how far along you are with your build but I have just did my swap last summer. In your Dakota you have the 2.2 or 2.5. With either one of those the only way that you will fit the 360 in is to remove the driverside motormount that is factory placed in. It butts right up against the brake lines. If you still have the van by any chance the cross member that had the factory placement for the engine would come pretty handy just weild that in (after fitment!!!) if you dont have it then you will have to craft your own. The transmission that you have is a new process, the tag is on the drivers side near the middle of the tranny itself, like under the shifter it is a circle and it is stamped. You will have to get another bell house for the transmission for marring it to the 360. The one off the V6 models or the 318 bolts up. you should find those abundant in the junk yard. You do not need to get any more wireing harnesses!! the alt that you have on the truck as a voltage reg on the firewall just like the one that is already there. Just cut and splice. the only thing that was diff from my 2.2 electrical wise from the 360 was the distributer. I had the dual magnetic pick up in mine for the 360. the 2.2 and the 2.5 mostly had the "hall effect" so, i took all of the electronics off the ram charger that i had. the coil, ballast resistor, spark controller and the relay. I have so much more information. feel free to e-mail me if you have any more questions.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:30 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the trans you got with the motor is most likely eitehr a 727 or or 46rh(same trans just the overdrive). it might be stamped on the bellhousing like mine was

Quick Reply: doin a 360 swap on my 88 dakota, any advice appreciated :-)