1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Horn problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Richiewis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn problems

I have a 1995 Dodge Dakota Sport with the horn not working.Put 12 v to horn,that works.I have 12v at the relay plus swapped it out,still fails.Removed the 2 screws per Haynes manual to remove horn pad to check switches but that only removes the Cruise control switch assembly.Looking for suggestions as to how do i get at the switches to see if they are working.Thanks for any/all help. Richiewis

Old 01-11-2011, 10:09 PM
swapdip
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do this test: turn the wheel all the way to the right or left, and press the horn and see if it works. On my Dakota the contact plate only activated the horn when the wheel was totally turned because it was all gunked up and wore down, pretty sure there is a spring loaded contact in there or something that got wore out. Rather than tear in there and risk messing it all up (those warning stickers really freaked me out) I just mounted a toggle switch on the steering column and bought some air horns... kind of a cheapo redneck repair but it was good enough for me.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:28 AM
89newbie
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My last horn problem was blown fuse although horn fuse was good. Most of us have used vehicles and what previous owners did with wiring and re-feeding power is any bodys guess. I now check all fuses prior to ripping stuff apart.

Quick Reply: Horn problems