1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

road bumps/shuts off my truck.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:08 PM
izak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default road bumps/shuts off my truck.

So I have been having a big issue with my truck. Im driving down the road and all of a sudden the CPU shuts off the truck . I have done all the wire splice fixes and changed out some sensors, I have found the issue i think. when the CPU feels any bumps on the road or shaking it turns off. Here are some videos showing the issue. Please keep in mind that the CPU is about 3 months old from JEGS. I think I will have to return it and get a new one. Please chime in on what you think.

so heres the video of the truck with the computer mounted properley and when tapped on the side the truck starts to turn off.

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/3782/myh.mp4

Heres the video of the CPU side away from the fender on its side no problems here.

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/1631/87h.mp4

Old 01-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There is a ground connection in between the PCM and the firewall on the same fender, thats one possibility.

That may be loose or corroded. Maybe a bad wire terminal to the PCM, I had one on an injector causing a miss. Have you tried shaking the wiring harness and see if it dies?

Old 01-22-2011, 09:25 PM
izak

Yea I tried shaking it like crazy when away from the fender, and it did not die at all. It didnt make sense. Im going crazy over this. I will try the ground wire to the fender from CPU tomorrow. Any other ideas?

Old 01-23-2011, 09:26 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that issue on a couple of my previous cars. One Jada bad ignition wire where sometimes it wouldn't start and sometimes would shut off. It took me a long @$$ time to figure it out(I ripped the entire car apart searching for it). another was the connector on the PCM had contracted from the cold air in winter and would slip loose while driving. The third car was the CPU in the PCM was loose so I replaced since it was under warranty.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:46 PM
izak

So I got a new CPU ( but looks used) from Jegs, Installed it and bang the heck out of the fender and the CPU did not die at all the truck kept running right, hopefully this was the issue, I will drive around tomorrow and see if all is good,

Quick Reply: road bumps/shuts off my truck.