1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

ABS light

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Chris0908
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS light

Well last night I was going home from my girls house, and for some reason New England has been having some wicked cold nights and last night had to be one of the coldest. Well I got in my 96 2.5 Sport fired it up, went to hit the brakes and they felt REALLY soft but I still had full brakes, but when I parked it, my brakes were high and very tight. I don't know if the extreme colds have something to do with it but while I was driving home my ABS light came on, and my Parking Brake Light came on as well, went to go out and do some running around this afternoon, and the parking light was off (it's been on and off so much it works when it wants to, when I apply the parking brake) but the ABS light was on, my brakes are still high and tight, I just looked at the shoes the other day and still had plenty of meat and my front brakes still have 50+% of meat of them and they are almost a year and a half old. I'm really stumped, could the cold weather be causing a fault code?

Old 01-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you bleed your brakes lately?

Old 01-24-2011, 08:58 AM
Chris0908
Professional

Yeah when I adjusted them, took them into the shop and the bossman had me go in the air to bleed them, all I had to do was follow his pumping directions. I put it in the air the other day because I heard some grinding but come to find out that it was the heat shield rubbing against the drive shaft. We adjusted the rear brakes and bleed all 4 brakes. Then after we put it on the ground I went to move it and the sound was still there, we put it back in the air and come to find out that it was the heat shield, a couple self tapping screws fixed that.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:25 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris0908
Yeah when I adjusted them, took them into the shop and the bossman had me go in the air to bleed them, all I had to do was follow his pumping directions. I put it in the air the other day because I heard some grinding but come to find out that it was the heat shield rubbing against the drive shaft. We adjusted the rear brakes and bleed all 4 brakes. Then after we put it on the ground I went to move it and the sound was still there, we put it back in the air and come to find out that it was the heat shield, a couple self tapping screws fixed that.
i had the heat shield on my muffler break loose and bounce all over the muffler when i was driving. it can make one hell of a racket! a pair of metal cutters took care of that lol

as for the ABS light, could very well be a shot abs cylinder. or it could be a shot abs sensor. those are your 2 best bets tho.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Chris0908
Professional

Well I figured I'd give ya'll an update on the ABS Light, well after a couple days of driving the dang thing turned off on me, the light still does work (I thought it burned out until I looked at the dash as I turned the key). Looks like this New England Cold Weather is playing freaking games on me. Next week should be fun, yesterday we had 14" dumped on us, week before that 18", next week people are talking 30"+ it sucks when I gotta take a couple days off of week every week because of the freaking cocaine that falls from the sky. If anyone wants some snow come on over and take some we got plenty. Snowballs will be for sale, $5 but $5 shipping grand total of $10, will be shipped with dry ice to keep them in a ball shape when you receive them. LMAO My truck keeps going from Black, to brown, to white, to black to brown to white WTF! I miss the rain somedays.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:53 AM
oxygen454
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

"freaking cocaine" haha that's awesome!

I miss the snow. All we get is grey dark rainy days that seem to go on for ever. Next week is supposed to be sunny all week finally!!

Old 01-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Chris0908
Professional

That's what it's been like over here for the last couple winters, rain rain rain and more rain, this winter, cocaine cocaine and more freaking cocaine, getting tired of it, but I never get tired going into parking lots and doing good donuts lol, I love rear wheel drive.

Quick Reply: ABS light