1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1987 only starts when cold and wont when warm

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:47 PM
stampsm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 only starts when cold and wont when warm

I have a 1987 dakota (carburetor) that will start up perfectly and run great. when it is cold it will run a few minutes until the choke on the carb begins to open up then it won't keep running unless I keep my foot on the pedal and it revved up. I rebuilt the carb and replaced the hoses around to check for vacuum leaks and sprayed carb cleaner to see if i could find a leak and nothing. After it sits and cools down it will run a few minutes again then die like before till it cools. I noticed that when the choke closes most of the way it will start up. I am not sure what else to look for. There are no computer codes as far as I can understand on this one year.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:51 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you probably have to readjust the carb.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:59 AM
stampsm

Does anyone have any directions how I would do that? The factory service manual has only about half a dozen pages on the carb.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:22 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there should be adjustment screws on the side of the carb. i mainly use sound to get a carb running right so im not sure on the proper method. but get someone to sit in the truck and keep starting it as you adjust the air/fuel mixture screw until the truck sounds like its running the closest to what it was when it was running normally. that should solve your problem.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:11 PM
stampsm

the only screw to adjust on the side is the idle throttle screw and it needs to be running past the point of idle to keep going after it warms up. probably twice the idle speed it should be. The fuel/air mixture screw is in the front and there are two of them, one for each barrel. the manual says they are plugged but mine must be a slight different model as mine are open. they are VERY hard to get to while it is bolted down and I have to basically take off the carb to adjust them. what I need I think is a basic starting point, such as screw them in all the way and back out how far so I know it is in the general right position. I have tried all the way in then two out and no help.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:55 PM
slacker83

Not sure this will help you since my truck is tbi but my coolant temp sensor for the computer had went bad and caused my truck to not start when warm. For some reason when cold it would start no problem but after it had warmed up not a chance in it starting. I replaced the sensor and haven't had any trouble since. Again yours being carbed I don't think you have one.

Quick Reply: 1987 only starts when cold and wont when warm