1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

4 hi not working, 4 low does

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 12:03 AM
DupermanDave
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 hi not working, 4 low does

Today I've determined 4 hi isn't working. The 4wd light comes on, but it doesnt seem to work. I can't feel it engaging or hear any difference. When I engage 4 low, I don't feel it "engage", but I can feel it working when I drive and make sharp turns. It's also hard as heck to get it out of 4 low (have to put it in reverse, back it up, and then neutral to take it out.)

Is there a trick to get 4 hi working? Like put it in park/neutral?

Since 4 low works and I can feel it pulling, does that mean the front axle is locking? What are some common things to look out for? I ask because I've noticed there's a lot of common problems with the 1994 dakotas. Problems like tachomometers not working, fuel gauges going bad, etc...

Old 02-02-2011, 12:14 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

On the 94-up no CAD so the front axle is always connected, unless someone swapped out the front axle.

It sounds like your transfercase shifter needs to be adjusted. There is an adjustment bolt on the shifter rod.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:27 AM
DupermanDave
Rookie

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
On the 94-up no CAD so the front axle is always connected, unless someone swapped out the front axle.

It sounds like your transfercase shifter needs to be adjusted. There is an adjustment bolt on the shifter rod.
I hope that's all it is. That sounds easy. What tools are required for this? Could I do this myself or should I take it to a shop?

I ask a lot of (dumb) questions here because all I've ever owned is a Toyota pickup and that 4x4 was way different than anything else I've driven, like my parent's Tundra or my brother's Ram Charger. So I have no accurate way to gauge the feel of this 4x4 system.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:00 PM
brihno360
Amateur

You can do with a 1/2 inch socket or wrench. You can find the directions in any Haynes or Chilton's, several of which are available in FAQ threads.

I think the gist of it is put the transfer case in low and then slide the adjustment piece until the shifter matches. OF course you will have to loosen the bolt that locks in place for the piece to slide.

Another thing is that with the way the system works you may need to tap the adjustment piece with something to break it loose initially. BUT just tap it don't go after it with a sledge hammer or anything

You really should read the Haynes or whatever to make absolutely sure on the details

Last edited by brihno360; 02-04-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:55 AM
DupermanDave
Rookie

Originally Posted by brihno360
You can do with a 1/2 inch socket or wrench. You can find the directions in any Haynes or Chilton's, several of which are available in FAQ threads.

I think the gist of it is put the transfer case in low and then slide the adjustment piece until the shifter matches. OF course you will have to loosen the bolt that locks in place for the piece to slide.

Another thing is that with the way the system works you may need to tap the adjustment piece with something to break it loose initially. BUT just tap it don't go after it with a sledge hammer or anything

You really should read the Haynes or whatever to make absolutely sure on the details
I found the section in the Hayned manual that talks about adjusting the shifter. One of the steps says to put the truck on jackstands. Is this requires or can I just leave it with all fours on the ground? I don't have jackstands, as I've never had a use for them.

Quick Reply: 4 hi not working, 4 low does