1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

88 dakota rear brake issue.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:12 AM
scrambles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 dakota rear brake issue.

i've got an 88 dakota with 135,xxx miles on it. I replaced the rear brakes however now it seems like they hardly work at all. its got new shoes, drums, cylinders, and springs but i have to push the pedal to the floor to get any response from them.

While sitting on ice (with no traction to the rears) one wheel will spin without giving it any gas. if you hit the brakes (to the floor) it still takes a few seconds to stop. However, if you jack the truck up and take the wheel off, put it in neutral and foot on the brakes (to the floor) and try to spin the axle with a tire iron you can't get it to move. I've bled the brakes and i know it's getting a nice amount of pressure, but for the life of me i cannot figure out why i can't get this truck to stop. If trying to stop on ice, the rear end will actually push or pull the locked up front brakes around (given enough traction to the rear). The fronts lock up really easily on this truck.

any ideas on how to get more braking power to the rear?

Old 02-07-2011, 11:36 AM
kahanabob
Captain

when you replaced them did you adjust them by turning the adjusting bolt? you need to open the shoes until the drum will not go on then back off until the drum will slide over the shoes. if they are backed off too much the result will be what you describe,,,

Old 02-07-2011, 01:06 PM
scrambles

i adjusted the adjuster properly. still no luck.

Quick Reply: 88 dakota rear brake issue.