1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Exhaust & Cat Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Maynard70
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exhaust & Cat Issues

Hi Guys...

New here, just picked up an '89 with the 3.9 and 5-speed. It runs, drives, and stops. Barely.

I bought it on the cheap; I changed the oil, replaced the plugs and wires, flushed the radiator, etc. Still runs like crap. It still needs a muffler, so I'm in the process of exhaust replacement, and think the cat might be plugged up (stuttering, backfires, etc.). Thinking about just running a straight pipe to Auto Zone special muffler.

We have no emissions testing where I live, so I'm thinking about taking the sawzall to the cat. Anything I should know before I do? I know very little about these engines. Will the computer give me problems, or does it care? I spied what looked to be a sensor tube on the side of the cat, but I'm not sure what it connects to or if it's even working.

Anyone have any experience with the cat removal on the 89 V6s? Any thoughts?

Thanks.... M

Old 02-12-2011, 11:44 PM
kahanabob
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is an air tube that supplys fersh air into the cat if you trace it back up to the engine you will find it connects into the air pump. don't take anything off past that and you will be fine. i would re rout it maybe into the intake or just let it pump air out under the hood. . might want to just gut out the cat and put the unit back with the tube still on it......i am in the process of doing the same

Quick Reply: Exhaust & Cat Issues