1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

94 Dak 3.9 with A518 Trans

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 02:46 AM
ericjohnson7769
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Dak 3.9 with A518 Trans

I purchased my 1994 Dakota Sport 4x4 3.9L two months ago with 320,00 miles on it. Seem's like alot but only thing rusted out are the rocker panels. Engine was rebuilt and the transmission was replaced with a junkyard transmission according to the previous owner. Driving it home i noticed the transmission shift points where very erratic and unstable, yet it shifted through all gears and O/D worked. When i pulled it in my barn i noticed it was leaking transmission fluid and upon further inspection i noticed the trans pan was cracked. I bought a new transmission pan for a dodge A500 transmission and gasket/filter kit, but after inspecting it more i noticed the transmission pan was to small. I returned it and got the 318 trans pan/ or A518. So after the filter change and new pan i adjusted the TV cable and the shift points improved slightly but are still off.

When i drive it seem's like the truck is constantly towing something or under a load, or as if something is pulling me back while accelerating. This problem mainly happen's while in 1st or 2nd gear. Now down to my question here: If previous owner installed the transmission and left the 318 torque converter on it, will it mess with the driving performance because its the 239 engine and not the 318? Will replacing the t. converter with one out of a A500 fix my problem?

I just figured that the torque converter between the two transmission's have differant stall's to them, or is it that the internal part's of the 318 transmission have differant ratio's and are causing my truck to run weird because the engine does not match?

Any help on this subject will be greatly appreciated as ive been extrapolating idea's in my head for day's.

Last edited by ericjohnson7769; 02-23-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:50 AM
bjr1a
Professional

all 500 series trans have the same ratio gearing....Torque converter stall is a very interesting theory, but a slightly higher stall speed would make little to no difference...Also this trans has a clutch in the converter, and if it is still dragging when clutch is applied then you know for sure the problem is somewhere else...

Brian

Old 02-23-2011, 11:30 AM
siggie30
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is more reciprocating weight with the A518. X2 on the aforementioned issue. The A500 is very cheap to replace, in regards to the A518 being a bit more costly. You would also get a few ponies swapping to an A500. The torque converters should not be swappable as the attachment mount holes are indexed differently. Not sure of your trucks history, but have you looked at your brakes for adjustment/dragging? Is the newer trans in need of a rebuild/new valves?

Last edited by siggie30; 02-23-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:28 PM
ericjohnson7769

To Brian: When you say clutch in the converter, your talking about the lock-up feature correct? And also, you said that the gear ratio's are not differant between the transmission's but according to this sticky post:https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...e-manuals.html
1st and 2nd gear ratio's are differant, and first and second gear are when it seem's like my truck weigh's more than my 78 new yorker. Is this differance in ratio's enough to even cause this problem?

To Siggie: The drum's where way out of adjustment when i first bought it, but i have already rebuilt and re-adjusted both side's only resulting in a slightly better pedal. Could you explain more in detail how i could gain more HP from swaping back to a A500? Im guessing the weight reduction, or is there more to it than that?
But i forgot to mention that when i did the trans filter i did NOT use ATF+ transmission fluid. Could just using the wrong fluid cause this? That seem's a little to extreme, but it slips when cold which i believe i could fix by replacing the fluid with the right stuff.

Last edited by ericjohnson7769; 02-23-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:30 PM
siggie30
Captain

Originally Posted by ericjohnson7769
To Brian: When you say clutch in the converter, your talking about the lock-up feature correct? And also, you said that the gear ratio's are not differant between the transmission's but according to this sticky post:https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...e-manuals.html
1st and 2nd gear ratio's are differant, and first and second gear are when it seem's like my truck weigh's more than my 78 new yorker. Is this differance in ratio's enough to even cause this problem?

To Siggie: The drum's where way out of adjustment when i first bought it, but i have already rebuilt and re-adjusted both side's only resulting in a slightly better pedal. Could you explain more in detail how i could gain more HP from swaping back to a A500? Im guessing the weight reduction, or is there more to it than that?
But i forgot to mention that when i did the trans filter i did NOT use ATF+ transmission fluid. Could just using the wrong fluid cause this? That seem's a little to extreme, but it slips when cold which i believe i could fix by replacing the fluid with the right stuff.
Since HP is a function of torque, yes, the less recipricating weight will add HP. The torque converter is chosen for 500 rpm below cruising speed (for daily driver). Using the correct fluid will improve the clutch control within the transmission.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:59 PM
22DODGE22

Originally Posted by siggie30
There is more reciprocating weight with the A518. X2 on the aforementioned issue. The A500 is very cheap to replace, in regards to the A518 being a bit more costly. You would also get a few ponies swapping to an A500. The torque converters should not be swappable as the attachment mount holes are indexed differently. Not sure of your trucks history, but have you looked at your brakes for adjustment/dragging? Is the newer trans in need of a rebuild/new valves?

Rotating weight not reciprocating. engine Pistons are reciprocating

Quick Reply: 94 Dak 3.9 with A518 Trans