1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fire just not to the Starter

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Gomezz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Fire just not to the Starter

I have a 1993 Dodge Dakota that is getting power from the ignition switch to the Power distribution Center via the Yellow Wire on the starter relay. But the brown wire going to the starter is not receiving voltage. I have replaced the Starter relay and nothing. When I turn the key everything works except cranking. I have untaped the wiring harness - checked for possible grounding problems like recommended here, but nothing. The truck will crank when I connect a start button via the brown wire. The starter is good.

I have to be missing something somewhere and I do not know where to look. It started about a week ago after I just got back from a 700 mile trip and parked the truck and the next day nothing. Does anyone know if there is any ground connection under the dash for a possible grounding issue that would be stopping the power from reaching the starter? I get power to the Starter relay just not to the brown wire going to the starter. I get fire just not to the starter. This puppy is making me lose the rest of my hair.

Last edited by Gomezz; 03-16-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:02 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like a wire problem. Try adding in your own power feed to the relay to feed the starter.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:42 AM
siggie30
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possible neutral safety switch fault?

Old 03-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Gomezz
Default neutral safety switch wiring

Thank you for the suggestions. I did notice the backup lights are not working as well plan on checking the 10 amp fuse. I have replaced the neutral safety switch and now am on the process of checking the wiring. The problem acts just like the neutral safety switch and if I am not making a good ground then that would be the issue and explain the power to the starter relay getting power off the yellow wire but not the brown wire because of an open in the wiring to the neutral safety. I just have to strip the tape back to check for breaks.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Gomezz
Default Hopefully problem solved....

Had the truck towed to the dealership last night - found out today what was wrong.

The air conditioner compressor runs through the starter relay. This was grounding out causing the starter relays to blow .... so the fix is a new air compressor with new clutch. Cost? $880 includes labor and parts.

However the good news is that they said they hadn't seen a 93 is such pristine condition in a long time..... got to get my "attaboy" where I can.

thanks!

Quick Reply: Fire just not to the Starter