1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

94 2.5l lost compression

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:32 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats interesting...i guess i put the extra work into removing the pulley on my old car...lol

and as Crazy4x4rt stated don't wire brush it...i would use a rag and a shopvac.

not sure on any tips. from what i did was position the pulleys so that when i put the belt on they would line up.

i just did some research and i found that these 2.5l are just like the ones that came in the turbo mopars...non-interference so that if the timing is off it would bend the valves or damage the motor. it will just run like crap. and when doing the timing belt make sure to turn the distributor so that the flat part is parallel to the block. then loosen it up while the truck is running(but not to loose) and turn it towards the radiator to advance the timing or towards the firewall to re-tard the timing.

i wish the 5.2's where non-interference.

Last edited by shadowthedakota; 03-24-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:39 AM
jushas1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So we got the new head gasket on and everything back together but broke off 1 of the bolts that attaches the crankshaft pulley. I'll have to track down something or someone to remove it and find a replacement bolt for it.

If need be can I drive the truck with only 4 of the 5 bolts somewhere to get it removed?

Old 04-13-2011, 11:37 PM
jushas1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the broken bolt taken care of today and the truck is up and running. It seems to be revving up a bit more than usual on start up and when shifting though but other than that it's running good.

Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: 94 2.5l lost compression