1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Wipers stopped working 94 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 05:28 PM
markcoronado
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wipers stopped working 94 Dakota

I have a 1994 Dakota & the wipers quit & I'm trying to figure out if it's the motor. After they quit I was able to pull on one of the arms & it made about two wipes & stopped mid way.
When I tested for power at the motor I have voltage at all 4 wires coming from the main harness to the motor when the key is either on ignition or accessory position & it doesn't matter whether the wiper switch is turned on or off I get the same results. There is no voltage at any of the 4 wires when the key is in the off position.

I would appreciate any help with diagnosing the problem.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:45 PM
festerw
Veteran

Here's the FSM page on testing the motor.

Last edited by festerw; 03-21-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:51 PM
markcoronado
Amateur

Thanks for the great info festerw.

From the info you provided it pretty much confirms my original thoughts that it needs a new motor.

The only thing that puzzles me is that I have power to all 4 wires to the motor.

Maybe it's because it's stuck in mid cycle.

I'm going to go ahead & try to locate a used wiper motor & see if that fixes the problem.

I'll report back & let you know what happens.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:39 PM
kahanabob
Captain

maybe one if the linkage arms fell off (common Problem) and is jamming the works? the nylon bushing connectors that hold the linkage to the motor and each pivot crumble and fall off. i would look under the cowling and check.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:19 AM
markcoronado
Amateur

After further diagnosis it turned out to be a no ground situation.
I didn't find it at first when doing voltage tests because I was using the engine block for ground.
To solve the problem I ran a separate ground wire to the wiper motor mounting base.
Problem solved.
Thanks to all that helped.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:33 PM
nascar5fan
Default is it easy to change windshield wiper motor/what if it doesnt solve problem

i have a 94 dodge dakota pickup and the delay on the windshield wipers didnt work at all it was just fast and faster....as i was driving home in the rain they just stopped all together in the middle of the windshield....i notice when i try to turn them on the motor makes a noise but they dont work. should i spend the money to get the motor or just take it to the mechanic cause i dont have the tools to check the motor no tools to change the wiper motor if thats the problem.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:47 PM
chr_han

Nascar5fan, can you move the wiper arms by hand? If they seem pretty easy to move back and forth, then you need to remove the cowl panel (easy to do, pull the wiper arms and the screws that you access under the hood) and check the nylon bushings that kahanabob referred to.
Mine came apart last year and the wipers stopped right in the middle of driving home in a rainstorm (rain-x to the rescue!). After figuring out the problem, it was a cheap and easy fix.

Quick Reply: Wipers stopped working 94 Dakota