1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

87 Dakota engine change

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:43 PM
kornclowns
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Dakota engine change

Ok, some of you may have saw my other post on the vortec, but the idea of that is gone. I have decided to just put a 87 3.9 v6 in place of my old 2.2 4cyl. The 3.9 will have a A/T, my 2.2 had a manual. I'm going with the 87 3.9 because its a carb model, and i dont want to mess with the fuel lines. After saying all that, what I need help with is what parts ect. I will need to get to make the 6 run were a 4 was. This is my fist engine swap to a bigger and different motor(not much bigger, but it will do). Do I need to change the harness, relays? Do I need to remove anything that I already have on there? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks to all who can help out a fool.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:20 PM
Frogman

i'm not very qualified to answer. but i would think the computer may have to be a 3.9 computer. but i could be wrong .

Old 04-05-2011, 12:05 AM
siggie30
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advice is to find a local truck owner that is going to do a V8 swap and approach that person with some money for their old parts. Engine swaps really nickle and dime you. I do not see a real benefit to a V6 swap, as it would be cheaper to find one for some money and swap parts off your truck if yours is better. Now a Magnum V6 is worthy, but not the tbi/carb designs.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:48 AM
kornclowns
Default ya

I think for me in the long run it would be cheaper. I can never seem to find parts for the 2.2 and the transmission is to hard and expensive to replace. Cost wise, it wont be to bad because im looking for someone who would trade a 4.3 vortec+tranny for the motor+tranny I need, or buy it so I could get the 3.9. After that all I need is the small stuff.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:21 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the 2.2l just look at the fwd turbo mpar sites...lol its the same motor.but for an engine swap its best to just get a complete truck and do teh swap but then depending on what you find you wouldn't have to dod the swap and drive the 3.9l and use teh 2.2l as a toy.

if you lived in Wisconsin i'd swap trucks with you

Old 07-11-2011, 02:15 AM
early93

I'm doing a 4.3 swap into my 95. Converted to carb so I ditched all the ecu and wiring. Got a chevy 4 speed to go with it. Almost ready for the road. The swap has been pretty straight forward. The 4.3 fit no problem and had only one minor clearance issue with the distributor. A little firewall metal work fixed that. Chevy engines are just so much easier to work on and get running in places they weren't originally running. Plus, I don't care what anyone says, the 4.3 vortec is a more powerful engine than the 3.9 magnum. With the 600 cfm edelbrock and headers, I should get around 250 hp and 300 ft/lbs out of the 4.3. That's v8 numbers. I love mopar, but I also love chevy because of how practical their stuff is. And the vortec, by the way, is not an aluminum block or head. They're cast iron. You're getting the vortec confused with the ls1 engines,which are an aluminum version of the vortec 350.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:41 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by early93
I'm doing a 4.3 swap into my 95. Converted to carb so I ditched all the ecu and wiring. Got a chevy 4 speed to go with it. Almost ready for the road. The swap has been pretty straight forward. The 4.3 fit no problem and had only one minor clearance issue with the distributor. A little firewall metal work fixed that. Chevy engines are just so much easier to work on and get running in places they weren't originally running. Plus, I don't care what anyone says, the 4.3 vortec is a more powerful engine than the 3.9 magnum. With the 600 cfm edelbrock and headers, I should get around 250 hp and 300 ft/lbs out of the 4.3. That's v8 numbers. I love mopar, but I also love chevy because of how practical their stuff is. And the vortec, by the way, is not an aluminum block or head. They're cast iron. You're getting the vortec confused with the ls1 engines,which are an aluminum version of the vortec 350.
Cool! Lets some some pics! And don't be scared to start a new thread.

Quick Reply: 87 Dakota engine change