1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

92 brake issue PLEASE HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 02:54 PM
92dakotaBEAST
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 brake issue PLEASE HELP!!!!

hey all!!
first let me explain the problem
as the title says i have brake issues.
i am getting fluid to all of the wheels but once i turn the truck on the pedal has no resistance at all....
i have replaced the booster.MC.new front pads,rotors and claibers..new lines and new wheel cylinders.. i have also replaced the front box(think it is the prop block) with a jegs block....http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performan...10002/-1...and the rear block is still in place with all new fittings and lines going in and out.
now i have bench bled the MC both on and off the truck with the lil red plugs they gave me and then i did the lines going back into the MC way.

i am still having no pressure once the car is on.. when bleeding i can shoot the streams from the bleeder over 2ft.. i have bleed the wheels in RR,LR,RF,LF
With no luck at all... i have rechecked all the fitting and lines and have no leaks.. every time the pedal feels somewhat better with the truck off it all goes back to crap once it is on...

i thank you all for your time and effort
MOPAR OR NO CAR

Old 04-16-2011, 03:28 PM
mazda7475
Veteran

you have air in the system somewhere, i've seen this if the wheel cylinders are seized but you replaced yours. on the 89 sport i had there is a block on the frame at the rear that has a bleeder screw in it. follow the line from the front block to the rear you'll find it (if it's on your model) i had to bleed that after i swapped to silicone fluid to get the brakes to work right.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:34 PM
92dakotaBEAST

yes i know what your are talking about.. i have bled that also.. getting fluid out of that as well... do you think that since i have replace the stock block with the jegs block is that causing a problem?

Old 04-16-2011, 05:20 PM
mazda7475
Veteran

do you have a leak in the booster line? i dont think the jegs replacement is the problem. look for anywhere the line is above the blocks (front and rear) could be a problem.
(flyers - buffalo game is on so it might be a while before i get back to you)

Old 04-16-2011, 06:16 PM
92dakotaBEAST

thanks for the help a head of time... ill check that 2moro(crappy pa weather)

Old 04-16-2011, 10:47 PM
mazda7475
Veteran

dude, it's not good east coast weather for doing anything, rain , snow , all kinds of crap. the lakes are still frozen up here on Nova Scotia. makes getting under the rig a B--ch.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:00 AM
Saltys
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually dude... sounds like ur brakes are fine.... check for vacum line leaks that go to the booster.. this is most likely your problem as that is where your "boost" in the booster comes from and its the only part of the brakesystem that changes when the truck is on/off everything else is purely mechanical... also id replace or fix any broken wires in that circuit as well.. im sure to have the same problem and just havent been able to find out if i do or not yet lol.. but brakes in autotech lets me kno that its prolly ur vacume lines not feeding the booster properly, anyway its worth a shot and a quick look over...

Old 04-17-2011, 08:27 PM
mazda7475
Veteran

i had air in my system and the fluid shot about 2 feet. when the brakes are pumped up even with air in it theres a lot of pressure. if you pump them once and it shoots out your ok, but if its slow with one pump there could still be air.
like salty said check for a leak in the vacuum line to the booster. there is a direct line from the manifold ( don't think its a leak the truck would run rough ). what i meant by the line between the 2 blocks is that i replaced mine and the line was slightly long and i had to bend it up a bit creating a high spot in the system, took a while to bleed it.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:02 PM
dakotamandan

I'm going to agree that vacuum seems like the problem. I had a vacuum issue with my brakes and the pedal went to the floor, but the truck ran fine.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:50 PM
misfitdakota_95
Professional

try this: get a line lock tool (or a pair of needle nose locking pliers) and pinch off your front & rear circuits one at a time. If you notice that with the rear brakes blocked off, you have a strong pedal, that means you still have air in the system; the same applies if you block off the front brakes. Also, make sure your rear brakes are properly adjusted.

Quick Reply: 92 brake issue PLEASE HELP!!!!