1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Intermittent Engine Stumble

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Az93DKota
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Engine Stumble

Hey guys, was wondering if any of you have had the same problem. So my wife has been calling me at work and tells me that the engine is stumbling and possibly misfiring. But it does it intermittently. Well I didn't believe her till last night. We went to the movies, truck ran fine. Got out of the movies and started the truck and sure enough its does it. So I drove it while it was doing it and the check engine light was on. Then about 10 miles later, the stumble just went away and engine started running smooth. Checked the plugs, wires, cap and rotor and all look good. Any idea's. Im stumped since I've replaced all the sensors on the engine.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Sauxon
Professional

I have this exact same problem. I cannot find any specific time that it does it. Weather, temperature etc just does not seem to affect it.
I tried unplugging my injectors to find out which one it is and I found that the injector closest to the firewall on the drivers side of my truck has a spare wire about 3 inches long coming from it. It does not go anywhere. I am assuming that the pigtail is not getting a good enough connection.

Of course this is specific to my truck as it is a wiring hell since the idiot before me decided to just hack and slash to get the immobilizer and command start out. I do not see a point to why either one would be hooked up to an injector though. The code that my CEL throws is 27.
27 Injector control circuit

Old 05-29-2011, 01:33 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you use a good reader to read the codes it will tell you which injector is failing.

It is unconfirmed but lots of people have the same problem. One possibility is the power splices for the power wire on the injectors. Another possibility is the computer or connector.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Spire
Amateur

I had an issue like this on my 96' jeep grand cherokee limited. The cam shaft was worn wich caused an intermitant signal to the computer. sometimes it would run fine and sometimes it would run like crap and the check engine light would come on.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Engine Stumble