1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

drivetrain help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:59 AM
logancounterman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default drivetrain help.

what can i do.

i want to change everything. I need some help. i wnat to run a 727 tranny but can't seem to find a transfercase torun. most are passenger side drop but i want to run driver side drop.

But if i can't find one i guess i'll just have to run 3/4 ton chevy axles. lol...

has anyone done a 3/4 axle swap on a dakota.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:33 AM
logancounterman
Veteran

anyone think 3/4 chevy axles are to wide for a dakota and also are 37s to big to run will it look ok or just silly whats everyone thinking about something like this. if i have support i think i want to do the swap. not sure why but just for the heavyduty of it and the different stlye it would have.

i mean why not i have to change everything. so why not make the changes to the better..

Old 05-31-2011, 12:03 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the link in my signature for the solid axle swap. I'm running a '79 F250 Dana 44 HP HD front axle and a mid-70's GM 14 Bolt FF rear axle. Both 3/4 ton axles. I'm also going to run 37 inch humvee tires. IMO, the axles are not too wide... for the height increase, I wanted a wider track to offset the high center of gravity. IMO, my truck sitting as high as it is with factory width axles would look weird.

Anyway, if you have any more specific questions about my swap, PM me or check out my discussion thread.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:04 PM
logancounterman
Veteran

i'm going to be running the same tires 37 wangler oz humvee tires.

I'll go check out your build again. My big deal is finding a trans for my 318 that will work with passenger side drop.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:09 PM
9652dakota
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as for width i agree with 95.
you go up you need to go wide. true story.
my cousin have a 92 toyota pickup. 4x4 4cyl. weak when he got it. 3 inch body 3 inch suspension lifts and 35's is what he did. looked ok. axles to narrow i thought though.
we put ac on it and with those tires the thing wouldn't fall out of a tree.
he was helping a buddy move and they were on the way back for another load. trucks wer empty and his buddy drove the yota. all have said that they wern't going fast but it rolled on a curve and went down the enbankment.
no one was hurt but the moral is if you raise your truck you really do want wider axles for stability.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:14 PM
logancounterman
Veteran

yea want to go high got to go wide.

still looking in to this swap. i have a complete 76 chevy truck but the body is shot. so i need to go to where it is to see if the leaf spring mounts are welded on or rivits like that back mounts of my dakota.

because if it would be that easy to take them off that truck and put them on my dakota.

so i have to find that out then go from there. i mean if i have to make everything i may just be easier to leave it alone and say with 32s

Old 06-01-2011, 10:30 AM
DarkKnite2009
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the chavy's is welded they have always welded them to my knowledge. it is never easy to do an sas and anyone can tell you that.

Quick Reply: drivetrain help.