1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Auto trans problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 05:06 PM
wfo_sideways
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto trans problems

I purchased a 93 4x4 with a 318 and was told the trans was no good. I took it to AMMCO ( my frist mistake ) Thay checked it out and told me the trans was fine and it was my tourqe converter that was bad. I purchased a rebuilt, took it to a recommened biz to have it changed ( not AMMCO) I was told the truck was ready and asked if it was test driven? They said it shifted smooth on the lift. I insisted it be tested by being driven. Didn't get a call back. When I contacted them I was told it ran fine up to about 3 miles then it starting to make a clicking sound and would not idle in gear, the motor died. Now I'm confused! Torque converter or trans? According to Dodge by my vin# it has a 45rh trans. Now i'm out 100's of bucks and no better off than before! Anybody have an idea that may help me figure this problem out?

Old 06-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The idle problem could be a bad IAC Idle Air Control valve. As for clicking, it could be anything. Since we can't test drive it we can't diagnose it for you. I suggest you get ALL the details on the problem, your description is very vague.

It is a 46rh!

Old 06-21-2011, 08:26 AM
wfo_sideways
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It turns out that AMMCO was wrong! After spending a lot of money for a torque converter change out, it turns out to be the transmission is bad! Lots of money spent for nothing! I thank you for your response.

Quick Reply: Auto trans problems