1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

headlight problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011 | 10:54 AM
Rabid21
Veteran

If you're looking for a cheaper way to increase your headlight performance try this.

3M Makes a headlight repair kit, you should be able to pick it up at most parts stores.
My headlights sucked dog butt for the longest time till I finally picked one of those up. All you need is a standard hand drill and a bit of patience to learn the hole sanding and buffing process.
I think I did pretty damn good since my trucks lights are super awesome compared to what they were before.

BTW: If you want to try this let me know I can suggest a few things. Until I changed positions at the Harley Shop I work at I used to do all the paint and body work on the bikes that we got. So sanding, buffing, fixing chips, and dent work is sorta my thing :P

Old 07-05-2011 | 01:05 AM
david dehring
|

I will definatly do that to see what it will do. Anyway about the diesel comment before I have found a 4bt cummins and a 5 speed trans to put behind it. The 5.2l that is in the truck needs a lot of work and as of yesterday the tranny is all washed up. I hear that its an easy swap and seeing as howim a diesel tec they re easy to work on.

Old 04-30-2012 | 06:25 AM
BlackDak12

Is there a reason for the complete lack of aftermarket parts for dakotas? Is it just because they are old now or was it always like this? I'm a young buck by the way

Old 04-30-2012 | 09:49 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by BlackDak12
Is there a reason for the complete lack of aftermarket parts for dakotas? Is it just because they are old now or was it always like this? I'm a young buck by the way
It is supply and demand. 500,000 Mustang and Camaros owners want aftermarket parts a month. 5 Dakota owners want aftermarket parts a month. Big exaggeration but you get my point. And yes just like you said it is getting old so the demand is even less, maybe when it was new the demand was 20 owners a month wanted aftermarket parts.

Plus don't forget most of us don't have a lot of money to spend on aftermarket parts, if we had money most of us wouldn't be driving something 20+ years old, so that brings down demand a lot.

Think of it how many people want to spend $3,000 on a lift kit for a $1,000 truck.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 04-30-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-30-2012 | 11:04 AM
JR318
Veteran

I too have been looking for the crystal clear lenses for my 95. Havnt had any luck with my search either, all though I did see a picture of a blue 92-96 dakota once in a post that the guy had fixed up really nice and it appered to have crystal clear lenses. I wish i would have saved a link to his posts cause I would love to talk to him and find out where he got his or how he made his.

Quick Reply: headlight problems