1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel gauge sending sunit

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:48 PM
kahanabob
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel gauge sending sunit

1990 Auto V6 LE 22 gal tank..............have searched high and low, dealer to O'Rilley and everywhere in between, can not find one on the planet. Don't want a junk yard part, would be too big a crap shoot. Mine went bad when I let the truck sit for 6 months with a near empty tank. Any ideas?

Old 06-30-2011, 02:05 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If your fuel gauge not working? Or you fuel pump? The pump is replaceable. If it is just the gauge, then the you may be able to bend the contacts back or replace the float if it is similar to the newer floats. Check out the post from the FAQ.

Fuel gauge doesn't work- A common problem in these trucks are gas gauges that put out erroneous readings. (This problem is common to not just the Dakota, but also the Rams, and many other Dodge vehicles) Some people have had luck with running fuel system cleaner (such as "Chevron Techron"), that might at least help the issue. The tabs the unit rode up and down on were messed up, he simply snapped/bent them back in place, and his gauge works again. Here is a GOOD write up. HERE
Unfortunately, at some point, they integrated the fuel sending unit with the fuel pump, so not all years have a separately serviceable sending unit.

Here is a quick write up on a replacement gauge float. Here

Old 07-01-2011, 11:47 PM
kahanabob
Captain

yea, thought about attempting to fix it but a lot of work to get at it and then find out it can't be repaired. i do have a sending unit for a 93 but it is differant then the 90, was thinking maybe i could adapt it somehow???? if anyone out there has a pic of a 89 or 90 sending unit would help.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:43 AM
mazda7475
Veteran

i don't have a picture of a throttlebody injected 89 but i sure can remember it. if you can send me a picture of the 93 pump i can probably tell you. if not i may be able to get you a picture of an 89 pump it just that it now belongs to an x-girlfriend, you can see the problem.
i cannot see them being the same because the pressures are higher in a multi-port injection system over the 89 throttlebody.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:15 PM
kahanabob
Captain

Originally Posted by mazda7475
i don't have a picture of a throttlebody injected 89 but i sure can remember it. if you can send me a picture of the 93 pump i can probably tell you. if not i may be able to get you a picture of an 89 pump it just that it now belongs to an x-girlfriend, you can see the problem.
i cannot see them being the same because the pressures are higher in a multi-port injection system over the 89 throttlebody.
first pic in this link is what i have laying around, a 93 sending unit
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-friendly.html

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge sending sunit