1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Tranny question on a 89 (5spd)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:18 PM
LCF04
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny question on a 89 (5spd)

since there are some experts on these forums ill ask here

This morning my tranny went on my 89 dakota, its a 5spd with a 3.9L 2wd

I was wondering if there is more then one kind of tranny for that truck?.

Havent looked at it yet, and just got it back to the farm. Just looking for some info and such.

The only gear i had was 4th.

Are they a pane in the *** to swap out or easy?

Old 07-11-2011, 09:40 PM
xaenon

Originally Posted by LCF04
since there are some experts on these forums ill ask here

This morning my tranny went on my 89 dakota, its a 5spd with a 3.9L 2wd

I was wondering if there is more then one kind of tranny for that truck?.

Havent looked at it yet, and just got it back to the farm. Just looking for some info and such.

The only gear i had was 4th.

Are they a pane in the *** to swap out or easy?
I'm gonna take a stab at this and guess that the shift lever flops around but you can't change out of fourth. If that's the case, I have good news.
Your transmission probably has NOT failed. You've just broken a small pin that engages the shift lever, and it can be replaced (usually) without removing the transmission.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:01 PM
xaenon

I may have misspoken - it might not be a 'pin', per se, but the problem is likely related to how the shift lever connects to the internal shift shaft. Still, you should be able to replace the part without removing the transmission.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:47 AM
LCF04

nope, i dont have any gears untill 4th, it will shift in and out of 4th, but no other gears, cant feel them at all, but you can feel it going in to 4th.

i was just crusing along in OD(5th) then it just let go and i had 4th when i down shifted so i kept going to get it in to the city, then discovered i didnt have 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th and reverse when i came to the first red light.... fun time driving the truck through the city with just 4th....

needless to say i need a new clutch when ever i track down a used tranny, that is untill i can rip the one out and see whats going on.

i just want to know if any of you guys know if there is more then one kind of tranny for this 89 with the 3.9 just so i dont get stuck with a tranny that dose not fit.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:04 AM
xaenon

Originally Posted by LCF04
nope, i dont have any gears untill 4th, it will shift in and out of 4th, but no other gears, cant feel them at all, but you can feel it going in to 4th.

i was just crusing along in OD(5th) then it just let go and i had 4th when i down shifted so i kept going to get it in to the city, then discovered i didnt have 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th and reverse when i came to the first red light.... fun time driving the truck through the city with just 4th....

needless to say i need a new clutch when ever i track down a used tranny, that is untill i can rip the one out and see whats going on.

i just want to know if any of you guys know if there is more then one kind of tranny for this 89 with the 3.9 just so i dont get stuck with a tranny that dose not fit.
Damn, I'm sorry to hear that.

Wrecking yards have Hollander books (software now, actually) that list what will interchange. Sometimes many other parts or assemblies will interchange with minor modifications. Some of the others here in the forum might know off the top of their head, but unfortunately, I don't.

Quick Reply: Tranny question on a 89 (5spd)