1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

95 SLT Ring & Pinion Stock to Towing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 07:04 AM
OzarkMark
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 SLT Ring & Pinion Stock to Towing?

I spent most of last fall getting my stock 95 SLT 'TOW READY' by beefing up the springs, adding a trans cooler, plus Air Lift rear bag suspension and rewiring the harness to accommodate pulling a travel trailer.

It did all right pulling from AR to TX gulf coast & back last year except for having to shift out of OD most of the time.

I'm assuming it has 3:55 RIng and Pinion in it. I'd like to go to a 4:11. I remember taking apart a DANA rear end a long time ago working at Firestone to do a pinion bearing. This shouldn't be much harder I would think.

1 - My big question is, do I have to do BOTH front and rear R&P as long as I don't engage the 4WD on dry pavement?

2 - Is there a big difference in the noise of standard -vs- Pro R&P sets? Because it is a big jump from $179 to nearly $400.00 per differential.

3- While I have the rear end apart, would it also be a good time to put in heavier duty rear axle bearings?

I thought about putting a 1500 rear end in it, but I'll be honest, it won't be long before I won't be able to work on my vehicles much longer. My knees are shot and I can hardly stand the pain anymore. This may be my last hurrah.

Any input is appreciated.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes you would have to do the front and rear. If you don't you would never be able to use 4wd even on dirt ect, unless you want to kill the transfercase or more.

www.ringpinion.com is a good place to go.

As far as noise, I'm not to sure. I got Mud tire which make more noise then the gears. I would say spend some time on www.youtube.com see if you can find some videos showing the gear sounds.

Yes you could put a 1500 axle in but it would have to be custom fitted and will be wider than stock and you may still have to put the lower gears in it.

Are you sure your not over loading the truck? That you are within your towing capacity.
Here is a good chart. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ing-chart.html

You can find a sticker under the hood that states you gear ratio. Or get a build sheet from Dodge. Or just count the number of rotations the drive shaft spins when you spin one rear wheel 1 full revolution.

Quick Reply: 95 SLT Ring & Pinion Stock to Towing?