1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Truck intermitantly wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 01:08 PM
huseman808
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck intermitantly wont start.

Every once in awhile my truck wont start. I turn the key and the starter does not even engage. But if I try it again like an hour later, itll start just fine. It does it every couple days. When it does it, I try starting it in park and neutral, but it doesnt crank in either gear.

My battery terminals are semi-corroded, would that cause it?
I also thought maybe the park/neutral switch?
Or what about a bad starter solenoid?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edit: I dont have the Ram anymore, I have a 1996 Dakota 3.9 4x4, just to clear that up.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:52 PM
g. man
Veteran

If you're terminals are corroded, and having problems with the truck starting the FIRST thing I would do is clean them up, and go from there. If a terminal brush is not among your tools, you should invest in one. Very cheap and handy.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:03 PM
RawDog
Amateur

when you turn the key, are you getting a single click? If it does this after you take care of the battery connection, try rapping the starter with a hammer a few times and try again. If it starts, either your wires to the starter are loose/corroded, or the starter is bad.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:44 PM
huseman808
Captain

Alright, I just cleaned up the battery but Im still getting the same problem. It seems like it only happens when the truck is warm? I turn the key and get nothing. While I am cranking the ignition, the lights dim a little like its trying to send power somewhere. I havent tried hitting the starter yet.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:00 PM
huseman808
Captain

I just got it so that it wouldnt start again, tried beating on the starter but that didnt help.

I notice that when the starter does engage and starts,it kinda sounds like its grinding.

Do I need a new starter? It looks like itd be a PITA to chinge with the steering, exhaust, and differential all in the way.

Quick Reply: Truck intermitantly wont start.