1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

need quick advice on fuel gauge/new sender

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:15 PM
DupermanDave
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need quick advice on fuel gauge/new sender

I just replaced the fuel pump (see this thread) at first it looked like the gauge didn't work at all. I just went to move the truck to the shade to begin removing the bed and before I started the truck it appears to be reading the proper fuel level. This is before I even inserted the key. After I started the truck the fuel gauge sunk to empty and the fuel light came on. I moved the truck and removed my key and it very very slowly rose to what appears to be the proper level.

I need some quick advice: what could be wrong with the truck or fuel sender? I'm about to remove the bed to see if I can adjust the fuel pump because I thought maybe the float was getting stuck.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes most likely the fuel sending unit is incorrectly placed where the float is getting stuck.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:08 AM
DupermanDave
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an update. We pulled the bed off and it appears the float was getting stuck. Where the filter should have been lined up seems to be improper for this pump, so I rotated it counter-clockwise a bit and it seems to work fine. All of the hoses and wires still fit nicely and now.

Quick Reply: need quick advice on fuel gauge/new sender