1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

wheel cylinder,hardware kit help

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 02:04 PM
gatorchin
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel cylinder,hardware kit help

could someone help me out.first off, i have 9" rear brakes...gonna order wheel cylinder repair kit from rock auto, and i see some of the springs look a little different...then i think raybestos kit says "repairs oem only"..as far as i know these are factor wheel cylinders i'll be repairing, so will i have to go with the raybestos kit? or will the others for 9" brakes work?

also gonna be doing shoes...was gonna order hardware kit as well..i saw "all in one kit", "combo kit", etc...the all in one seems to have a couple of extra springs in there...any suggestions on which would be best to get??

Old 09-16-2011, 02:17 PM
qlty94
Rookie

I would buy new cylinders not that much $$ especially if the old cyl walls are rusty,springs and clips etc.are readily available at parts store on the "Help" parts section so I would only get the ones I need JMO

Old 09-17-2011, 02:32 PM
gatorchin
Amateur

i went ahead and bought the new cylinders and hardware kits...i'm sure i'll probably be posting questions when i get everything from the ups man and get ready to do the brake job

Old 09-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Remove both drums and do one side at a time, so you can go to the other side if you need help, with all the sprigs and all if you don't know how it goes it can get confusing quick.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:35 PM
kahanabob
Captain

make sure you get the star wheel brake adjuster back on correctly, they are side specific. if you do one side at a time as suggested (good advice) then you will not get them mixed up. just don't put it in backwards.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:20 AM
gatorchin
Amateur

thanks guys...yeah i plan on having the ipod handy and taking some pictures so i can have something to refer to, plus i'll do one side at a time...i watched a you tube video by eric the car guy going step by step..i'll also have my manual handy, although i don't know how in depth it gets, i'll have to check it out later..i do have a question about adjusting the star wheel after i get it all back together...i saw where the guy tightened it so the wheel would spin about 1 full turn and stop...i have a rear wheel drive so my wheel doesn't spin that freely (i guess i have limited slip?), as the other wheel turns backwards when i spin the right side forward..so would i use a different method for adjusting the star wheel??

Old 09-19-2011, 10:02 AM
pashadowops
Veteran

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
Remove both drums and do one side at a time, so you can go to the other side if you need help, with all the sprigs and all if you don't know how it goes it can get confusing quick.
Now what's the fun in that? LOL

Quick Reply: wheel cylinder,hardware kit help