1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Trying to decide on K&N

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 06:05 PM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to decide on K&N

i have been reading articles on the K&N air filters and have seen mixed reviews on how these thing perform. theres the goods that say they have felt some increase in mpg and in performance and those who siad they are junk and dont work abd a worse then regular paper filters. Just wanted to hear what people who have first gen dakotas and K&N filters have to say on how they have affected there performance and mpg

Old 09-19-2011, 08:13 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain

I can't say how mine is compared to without one and its been in there since the previous owner but for what I've put it through, its stayed VERY clean and performed better than a $5 Fram filter I bought hahaha

Old 09-19-2011, 09:02 PM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran

thats one thing that i read and liked, ive seen a few reviews by people who said that they didnt see any real gains but the filter stayed cleaner than the paper kinds

Old 09-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It stays cleaner because it lets more dirt into your engine. K&Ns do not filter well compared to other filters. Any potential gain is tiny, stick with dry filters, I like AEM and AFe.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:36 PM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran

do they have filters that just drop right into the stock system or do you have to get a cai system to put them onto? and where is the best place to find them

Old 09-20-2011, 12:04 AM
Rabid21
Veteran

My experience with K&N is this
I work at an Harley Davidson dealership as a Parts Associate so I deal in alot of filters.
Along with having one in my truck and my motorcycle.
They work fantastic, there is a noticeable power gain when switching to a K&N Filter with or without going to an open intake style. The most noticeable is when you go to an open style obviously.
K&N Filters do allow more air to flow into them but they also protect against plenty of grime that attempts to get through.
Plus since their cleanable they eventually pay for themselves and you're just saving money since you don't have to constantly buy new air filters.

This is the view I've gotten for them from using them myself compared to the paper one my current truck had, along with the paper filter set up my first truck had (1998 Dakota Sport V8). Along with input from my customers at the shop I work at.

All in all I think they are worth every penny.

Last edited by Rabid21; 09-20-2011 at 12:09 AM. Reason: added a bit more
Old 09-20-2011, 01:00 AM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Considering I've ran my truck with no air filter and not felt any difference, you're suffering from the placebo affect. The stock setup is plenty adequate for these trucks, it also brings in cold air, unlike most aftermarket setups. K&Ns DO let in more dirt vs their competitors, this is a fact. Other companies dry filters can be cleaned as well. IMO the biggest reason to get rid of the stock setup is to clean up the engine bay and sound. The easiest way to accomplish this is with a standard 14" open element filter setup.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:22 AM
Rabid21
Veteran

Hahns I'm not going to get into an argument about this with you.

I have my facts plus personal, and professional experience with these products.

You obviously have your facts and experiences also or else you wouldn't be saying what you are.

Its honestly InnerCityHillBilly's decision to go whatever direction he wants.

And to answer his question before I posted.

You can get filters from most brands including K&N that will drop right into the stock set up. My filter fit into my stock setup before I went to my Open Edelbrock style although I did buy a bit taller then what stock was.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:49 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Originally Posted by Hahns5.2
Considering I've ran my truck with no air filter and not felt any difference, you're suffering from the placebo affect. The stock setup is plenty adequate for these trucks, it also brings in cold air, unlike most aftermarket setups. K&Ns DO let in more dirt vs their competitors, this is a fact. Other companies dry filters can be cleaned as well. IMO the biggest reason to get rid of the stock setup is to clean up the engine bay and sound. The easiest way to accomplish this is with a standard 14" open element filter setup.
I'd like to see your facts. Not in a douche kind of way lol, just to see for educational reasons.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:56 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have heard the same about K&N that they don't filter good. I think I saw somewhere tests on partials that various filters let in and they were not the best but still okay. But there are a few that were extremely great at filtering and at the flow tests. I would also like the see any proof of both sides on this issue.

I feel like they do a good job but it is hard to tell. I have the 14in open air cleaner with the filter top that I use for street driving. I have functional hood scoops which feed fresh air into the engine bay so I don't get all the hot air from the engine into the intake. I swap back to the stock setup for offroading for good dust protection and if I hit water I don't drown my engine. Going back and forth I feel no difference at all. But you can hear it sucking the air in more with the K&N but again it all is open.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 09-23-2011 at 01:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide on K&N