1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

91' no spark, HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 06:03 PM
91_dakota
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91' no spark, HELP!!!

hi i have a 1991 dakota 3.9 4x4

So i was driving down the srteet and i stopped at the gas station to get gas and i turned it off and it wouldnt start back up. so after a huge ordeal i got it towed back to my house. i then began to inspect it and i determined that i had no spark at the coil. so after some searching on this web site i started investigating. i checked the asd relay, its fine, i re did the infamous splice and checked all others wires down the harnass for shorts melting corrosion etc. and still nothing... so, foolishly i just started replacing parts, distributor and cap, coil, plugs and wires, still nothing... the only other thing i can think of is crank pos sensor and computer. please give me some advice because i cant afford to put much more money into this thing.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:05 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 91_dakota
hi i have a 1991 dakota 3.9 4x4

So i was driving down the srteet and i stopped at the gas station to get gas and i turned it off and it wouldnt start back up. so after a huge ordeal i got it towed back to my house. i then began to inspect it and i determined that i had no spark at the coil. so after some searching on this web site i started investigating. i checked the asd relay, its fine, i re did the infamous splice and checked all others wires down the harnass for shorts melting corrosion etc. and still nothing... so, foolishly i just started replacing parts, distributor and cap, coil, plugs and wires, still nothing... the only other thing i can think of is crank pos sensor and computer. please give me some advice because i cant afford to put much more money into this thing.
Have you checked the computer for codes? you can do this by cycling the ignition on and off 3 times without starting the truck

Old 09-25-2011, 06:08 PM
91_dakota
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no i read sumthin bout that but i dont really know how

Old 09-25-2011, 09:00 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, I meant to answer earlier, but had to go. Cycle the ignition on, off, on, off, on and the check engine light will come on for a second or two, then it will turn off and start blinking a sequence out. For example, code 12 would blink as follows - blink; pause; blink, blink. You can go to the FAQ page near the top of this forum, and it will teach you how to read the codes, and what they mean.

Quick Reply: 91' no spark, HELP!!!