1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Over-Drive Switch Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 07:27 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Over-Drive Switch Wiring

I don't have O/D in my 88' however I wanted the panel for the power mirrors conversion. I planned on using the O/D switch as an "Override Dome Light" switch for when I am listing to music with my doors open.

I tried screwing with it using a multimeter but I can’t figure out how it is wired. I assume that two of the wires are + & - for the switch backlight, I was thinking the black wires since another switch from a different year has a black and green rather than two blacks. However all other wire colors remained the same, there is an orange coming from two separate pins and two blue coming from a single pin. Since this is not a click in-&-out style it seems to be making two different source selections, I figured from blue between the two oranges?

Name:  IMG_9018.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  111.8 KB

Old 10-01-2011, 11:47 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Orange - backlight positive power
Black - backlight ground
Blue/white - positive input to switch (ALSO used to provide positive power to the internal "OD OFF" LED)
Orange/white - switch output
Black/orange - ground for internal LED ("OD OFF" light)

Basically, you press the button, and it momentarily connects the blue/white and orange/white wires.
Whenever you have positive power to the blue/white wire AND a ground at the black/orange wire, that LED light on the button itself will illuminate.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:21 AM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

THANK YOU so much man, now the question of switch/illumination voltage(s)? Is the whole switch ran on 12v or the lights in it run on 6v which is why there are separate light +/- feeds?

If it is a single switch pulse output, I will have to rig up some sort of relay to cut the door switch's circuit to turn off the dome light. I already removed that yellow box from the fuse box under the dash that buzzes when the doors are open, why does it have so many prongs does this thing do anything else besides buzz with a positive and negative input?? I know on my dads 95' Grand Cherokee its much more difficult to remove and if you do it will cut power to various lights and accessory power...

Quick Reply: Over-Drive Switch Wiring