1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Transfer Case; Rebuild, Replace, or Simple fix.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Rabid21
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case; Rebuild, Replace, or Simple fix.

NP231 Transfer Case
1993 318 Auto 4x4

So when I bought the truck I knew 4lo didn't work so it was one of the projects I planned on tackling down the road.
Well now I'm thinking about tackling it so I'm trying to decide what could be the culprit and what the best way to fix it could be.

Pretty much what happens is when I do the proper way of shifting into 4lo it goes into it just fine but I move about 2-3 feet and it jumps out immediately. At this point I put my Transmission into neutral and I have to literally shove it into 4Hi. During this process all I can hear is this vicious grinding sound the moment I try and shift out of this dead spot its gotten stuck in.

I think whats happened is the previous owner didn't use it properly and stripped some gears, chains messed, or I've heard my shifter could be out of place. So what I'm trying to decide and I'm pricing out my options at the moment as best I can. Is if I should rip it out and replace the messed up parts, replace the entire thing with a used one or go to a parts store and get one with a core fee. I know if I just get a used one/ core fee one theres less downtime for the truck but it could be alot more expensive if its only a gear or a chain thats messed in my current Transfer case.

Any suggestions are welcome, I'll have a price on a NP231 with a Core fee by tomorrow hopefully. Aside from that its pretty much open field for pricing if I go used, repair my old one etc.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like the shifter linkage adjustment.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case; Rebuild, Replace, or Simple fix.