1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

gauge questions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 10:08 AM
DirtMcGurt88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gauge questions?

i got a 95 Dakota Sport Club Cab with the 3.9 v6 auto 2wd. went to the gas station day before last and heard water dripping look under and the water is a constant stream. ok no big deal seal went bad in the pump whatever it happens. well the temp gauge hadnt work since i bought the truck and just havent had the money or time for wut i thought would fix it , a new temp sending unit. well fight all day and end up with a new water pump , fan clutch , temp sending unit , belt tensioner , and serpentine belt. just my luck right. well i believe there isnt a thermostat because while the radiator cap is off i can see clearly the water flowing. now with that being said the temp gauge still doesnt work. any ideas guys? also my fuel gauge doesnt work the low fuel light does and every so often the needle will just barely jump around from dead empty to empty so thats my question and anything helps thanks.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you sure you replaced the right sensor for the gauge. There are 2, 1 for the gauge and 1 for the pcm.

As for gas gauge it most likely is the float.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-friendly.html

Old 10-05-2011, 12:56 AM
DirtMcGurt88

wow thanks for the schematic that will really help me out a bit and damn i didnt even think bout there being 2 sensors and the sad thing is i work at a damn parts store lol appreciate man and ill let yall kno wut happens when i get it switched out.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:38 AM
DirtMcGurt88

well no change when i switched out the new sensor the temp gauge just barely moves on the actual gauge it really hovers on/in between the c and the first line there. now im pretty sure i dont have a thermostat in it. could that be my issue? and possibly the same reason i dont have heat really?

Old 10-17-2011, 05:17 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

To test the gauge, disconnect the electrical wire from the gauge's sending unit. Use a jumper-wire to short this wire to a ground.
With it shorted to ground, the gauge should read full hot, as far as the gauge can go. If it does not read full hot, either there is a fault in the wire somewhere, or, the gauge is faulty.

Quick Reply: gauge questions?