1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

94 dakota wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 11:13 PM
sjnewton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 dakota wont start

Hi there I am not only new to this forum but also new to Dodge. I wanted a truck and found this 94 that seems to be in good shape. Picked it up today and drove it home. went to put it in the garage later and it would do nothing!! No lights on dash no sounds no start. I cleaned the batery terminals and was able to get dash lights but only dim. When I try to start it the starter just ticks but wont turn over. The battery is fully charged. I hope someone out there has some ideas cause the truck seems to be good.
Steve

Old 10-07-2011, 11:39 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sure sounds like bad battery or bad cables or bad terminals or bad ground to the truck or bad power cable.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:53 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the ground connection on the battery. I had the same problem with mine when I bought it. It's just a bad ground. Or the positive terminal needs to be cleaned up too. What I did was I went to my local part store (Partsource) and just bought new terminals for it. I had subs that had to be wired in, so I was in need of new terminals anyway

Old 10-09-2011, 08:20 PM
sjnewton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. It was a bad battery and the starter also seemed to be bad, I could not get it to run off my other car battery. Changed both and now working well,
Steve

Quick Reply: 94 dakota wont start