1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Hockey Puck Lift

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 02:04 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes the auto shifter linkage.

4wd with 2in lift the steering shaft has enough play.
2wd will need the steering shaft cut and a spacer welded in.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:31 AM
dobaroy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually this is a '93 extra cab 4x4 that we are lifting. The shifter linkage should not be a problem and when we lift the cab, will likely take the bolts out of the shroud. If anybody thinks of anything else, please jump in, and oh yeah, will take pics for sure. Got it up on the ramps right now trying to replace the Y pipe.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:04 PM
dobaroy
Veteran

Here is the link to view the first few pictures we took of the hockey puck lift. Raised the box yesterday and everything went slick, bolts came out easy enough. Seems like the total lift will be about 2 1/4". Ran into some trouble with the cab . . . front bumper off OK, took the bolts out of the shroud, still have to the trans linkage. Problem is when we loosened the bolts we broke one under the drivers door and it seems like the front one on the passenger side is stripped, just seems to be going round and round. Hoping maybe when we start jacking the cab up it will put some pressure on it and then it might come out. Question is . . . do we put back the original isolators at the bottom that the bolt goes through? Because it is going to make for about a 6" bolt and don't really understand what they would do at this point. I am sure some of you that have been there before would know what the best way would be. Thanks and hope the link to the pictures comes through OK.
Name:  DSC02272.jpg
Views: 1337
Size:  67.9 KB
Name:  DSC02277.jpg
Views: 3355
Size:  113.4 KB
Name:  DSC02287.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  101.9 KB

Last edited by dobaroy; 10-20-2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: trying to add pics
Old 10-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Dodge4lyfe
Veteran

ok, so how long of an extension are we talking about for the shifter linkage? Thinking of doing this as well and was wondering how long the spacer is and where it goes...

Old 10-23-2011, 11:45 AM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW: I'll have a set of 2" body lift spacers available later this winter along with a transfercase shifter extension, once I finish painting the frame and drop the truck back to factory height. I'm located in Canada.

On this truck, the only extension was for the transfer case shifter .
A threaded tube was threaded onto the transfer case shifter and a piece of threaded rod was inserted into that, which the **** then threaded onto.

I didn't notice a difference in the transmission shifter linkage though I could be very well wrong.
When I get a second I'll rummage in my boxes and compare the 2 linkages from my truck that had a lift and the one that didn't.

The kit installed on my truck kept the original isolators.

The biggest issue I believe will be the bumper brackets
The idiot who did mine just drilled more holes in the bracket. The location they were drilled, made me concerned about safety.
The better kits include brackets made for the purpose.

Last edited by RobertMc; 10-23-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertMc
FWIW: I'll have a set of 2" body lift spacers available later this winter along with a transfercase shifter extension, once I finish painting the frame and drop the truck back to factory height. I'm located in Canada.

From what i remember on this truck, the only extension was for the transfer case shifter ?
For my truck, threaded tube was threaded onto the transfer case shifter and a piece of threaded rod was inserted into that, which the **** then threaded onto.
The extension is for the automatic transmission shift lever that comes down from the steering column down to the transmission. 2in for a 2in lift. The transfercase shifter is fine as well as the manual transmission shifter.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:28 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

RobertMc, whereabouts in Canada are you located? Might be interested in that kit.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Rabid21
Veteran

Ahhh Canadian DIY modifications!
Aren't they wonderful?

Looks pretty cool though lookin forward to seeing the finished product

Old 10-25-2011, 12:41 AM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
The extension is for the automatic transmission shift lever that comes down from the steering column down to the transmission. 2in for a 2in lift. The transfercase shifter is fine as well as the manual transmission shifter.
Now you have me wondering..
My truck has a 2" body lift, and the transfer case definitely had an extension on it, and I don't remember seeing any difference between the linkage components from the steering to the transmission.

Maybe the transfer case shifter extension was for ease of use ?

I'll have to take a look tomorrow and compare the 2 transmission linkages I have and see what difference i missed.
Likely just the rod that runs down from the steering column, into the small block with the bolt adjustment ?

Thanks again Crazy4x4

Old 10-25-2011, 08:20 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

(quote) Likely just the rod that runs down from the steering column, into the small block with the bolt adjustment ?

Yes, that is the rod that needs to be extended.

Quick Reply: Hockey Puck Lift