1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Clutch job

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 11:48 AM
marcar1993
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch job

I have a 95 Dak with a 3.9 5 speed 4wd, I need to do a clutch. I have a fairly good mechanical background, but I've never done a clutch before. Never owned a stick before. I've dropped the trans in my 87 cutlass several times.
What am I in for here? I read the haynes book on the job, but I was wondering if there's any tips, tricks, or things to watch for.
I already have the clutch kit and I'm going to cut the flywheel.
Thanks.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:08 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I sure wish I could help you, but all I could suggest is download the service manual in the FAQ. It will have every step you need to complete the job.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:25 PM
kahanabob
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just make sure you have a spline tool to line up the clutch then tighten it down and the tranny should slip right in....

Old 10-27-2011, 08:32 PM
crazyjerry
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

keep us updated how easy/hard it is and any tricks you find. i may need to do mine some day in the future as well. im sure i could do the job but my main problem is not being able to get the truck high enough in the air to be comfortable moving around under there. not to mention i would have to locate a tranny jack

Old 10-28-2011, 06:09 PM
will4557
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 90 dak I had to drop the back side of the torsion bar on the pass side of the truck after removing the drive shaft (front and rear) so the cross member could fall far enough to slide the tranny and t-case back far enough to do the clutch. I had to drain the oil and remove the oil filter because they put a bell housing bolt behind there. I cant remember but I think you have to remove the starter also. If you have to undo your torsion bar make sure you put a jack stand under the front control arm on what ever side you remove it from.. Hope this helps you and I will keep a check and put everything that I remember that is gonna be hard on here for you. I think the rest is pretty self explanatory such as removing all bell housing bolts and the shifters and disconnecting the linkages where needed and electrical and vacuum lines and stuff like that. Then put it on a jack slide it back change clutch and assemble in reverse order.

Last edited by will4557; 10-28-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Clutch job