1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1988 3.9L Tune-Up Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 09:28 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Fram is not the same model filter that came out of my truck it uses the design by K&N, they must have leased the patient.

I actually make tons of short trips, I never go far but I try to let the engine warm up for at least 2 min before leaving.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:31 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pinkfloydeffect
I actually make tons of short trips, I never go far but I try to let the engine warm up for at least 2 min before leaving.
This is about the worst thing you can do for your engine. It tends to build up lots of sludge.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:34 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Originally Posted by Tom A
This is about the worst thing you can do for your engine. It tends to build up lots of sludge.
Unless warmed up? I work 5 min down the road and I don't go far elsewhere.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:40 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It needs to get fully up to operating temperature. Not just the coolant, but the oil. That way, it can burn off moisture that otherwise mixes with the oil to create sludge.

I did a valve job a while back for a woman who lived a couple of miles from work and just drove back and forth every day for years. Her truck (Chevy, not a Dodge) only had 80k miles on it, but was so full of sludge that I scooped about 5 POUNDS of it out of the lifter valley. When I pulled the intake manifold off, it looked like I forgot the valley pan or something (but it doesn't have one). By contrast, I've pulled apart engines that had over 350k highway miles and they looked great inside.

Not trying to scare you, but it's the truth.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:59 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

I believe you, sounds like a s***ty scenario. I don't know if it makes a difference but I used fully synthetic oil, I'm thinking about switching over to synthetic high mileage since I'm almost at 77k (4-5K since my last change)

I would clean the engine but I'm only going to drop it when she gets weak and drop in a 360. I have not opened my engine but I have worked on Toyota Camry engines and those are TIGHT these Dakota's have so much room with the traditional V style block and rear output.

Last edited by pinkfloydeffect; 10-25-2012 at 10:03 PM.

Quick Reply: 1988 3.9L Tune-Up Advice?